Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 Turbo Questions / Squeal / Squeek

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 12:50 PM
apappal
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Turbo Questions / Squeal / Squeek

Well, you guys have helped in the past so here it goes. About a week ago when I shut my truck off I get a squeal out of the area around the turbo. So I took the intake off and spun the turbo by hand. It turns about 95% of the way then rubs something for 5% then is free. I figure turbo but, if I try to move the shaft to get it spin free, little to no movement and no effect on the stoppage. Hope this makes sense, so if I replace the turbo, I'm fine with stock, do I go back to Holst or who.

Oh yeah, 114K miles, stock except for exhaust from the cat back.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the fins of the turbo are contacting something, it needs to be rebuilt/replaced, take it off and get a good look at everything, maby just carbon build up in the exhaust housing, but if its making noise, chances are the fins of beasings are shot, good luck, but if replacing, you may look into an s300 style upgrade turbo, and will probably be cheaper than a new stock one

Old 11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
apappal
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the turbo is fine, the clamp between the front or fan housing and the exhaust housing broke and the turbo shifted, all fins look fine, the clamp is made by RG Ray Corp, so now I need one of those. Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok well good luck, but chances are, if the fins were scraping the housing, they lost a bit of marerial, and the balance is very critical, as the spin up to 100,000 rpm's, you got a 50/50 chance, it may last for ever, or it could be a gernade...

Quick Reply: 04 Turbo Questions / Squeal / Squeek