Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

P0148 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM
cfd303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0148 code

Ok, so the code came up on saturday. Couldnt get the truck into a Dodge dealer until yesterday and of course the code is now inactive. So the dealer tells me there is nothing they find wrong espically with the code inactive. They did check pressures and that comes back normal to them. I also have been smelling fuel on the drivers side of the truck for the last 3 or 4 months and of course they cannot. Now within the last month or so i have been smelling it in the cab, but of course they cannot find anything leaking. I told the service manager to park the truck outside and let it run for 15 to 30 min and guess what they called back and they say they do notice a small fuel order but to no avail, they cannot find the leak. this truck is driving me nuts!!!!!

Since the code popped up while towing a trailer, i told them i will hook to the trailer and bring it to town and hopefully it will pop up again so they can diagnois the truck while its active.

So anyway has anyone ever experienced this type of thing?

I replied to a couple of older posts and got nothing from them so i thought i would start a new one.

Hopefully someone has some insight...

Old 12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a few things that come to mind, fuel filter, lift pump, the FCA, the rail relief valve, the leak is more than likely unrelated, to have a large enough leak, to cause low pressure, would leave a good size puddle in a matter of seconds, the only thing i can really think of may be a failed relief valve, overloading the return system, and causing a small external leak, along with dumping enough fuel from the rail, to set the code under a load, but a plugged fuel filter or failing lift pump can cause the same issues...

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 12-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
there is a few things that come to mind, fuel filter, lift pump, the FCA, the rail relief valve, the leak is more than likely unrelated, to have a large enough leak, to cause low pressure, would leave a good size puddle in a matter of seconds, the only thing i can really think of may be a failed relief valve, overloading the return system, and causing a small external leak, along with dumping enough fuel from the rail, to set the code under a load, but a plugged fuel filter or failing lift pump can cause the same issues...
130,000 on the truck, what would it cost to change out the lift pump? What about the FCA? Is that something that can be done and there isn't much cost, should that not be the problem.

I didn't notice any real loss of power. But now that I write this (i know deisels make noise) but with the trailer on it actually sounds like an octane knock until the truck goes into overdrive when i tow the trailer.

i could also be losing my mind.
thanks

Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lift pump is in the tank, i always advise, if changing out the stock lift pump, replace is with an aftermarket system, fass or air dog are good choices, and normally is not any more $$$ than a stock replacement, the fca is very easy to change, but i'm not sure of part prices, the rail relief valve is also easy to change, however most performance guy's are capping them off

Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
the lift pump is in the tank, i always advise, if changing out the stock lift pump, replace is with an aftermarket system, fass or air dog are good choices, and normally is not any more $$$ than a stock replacement, the fca is very easy to change, but i'm not sure of part prices, the rail relief valve is also easy to change, however most performance guy's are capping them off

dodgetrucker75 the code came back again while pulling the trailer. I do have a MileageMax chip plugged in. Could that be causing it? A local dealer did find a fuel leak a couple of months ago. It was the banjo bolt on the rear of the engine.

Thought about changing the fuel filter again. Any recommondations on how often and what brand?

If I unplug the chip and the code comes back I will know its not the chip but where do I go from there. I don't want to start replacing parts. Any way to trouble shoot?

Thanks

Quick Reply: P0148 code