Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04.5 Cummins 2500 w/ Hum/Slight Vibration from Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
sldhed8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04.5 Cummins 2500 w/ Hum/Slight Vibration from Rear

I'm new to the forum, but have read quite a bit of it, researching a problem with my '04.5 Cummins 2500. Right now, I'm sitting at 66,450 miles, so 3600 miles from the end of my powertrain warranty being up.

A bit about the history of my truck...Bought it new, drove it. 1 minor issue in the last 6 years. They had to flash the computer because of a weird power fluctuation/shudder. ONLY issue in 6 years. At 1500 miles, I installed a Bullydog exhaust and no other mods. Switched to synthetic in the engine at 7000 miles.

So, in 2010, I bought my wife a new '10 Ram 1500 with Hemi. Day after we got it, injector supply line falls off and sprays gas all over the engine. Just thought I would throw that in for anyone else that had that issue.

3 days later, MY truck decided it was time for issues. I had been keeping an eye on the turbo spindle, it had some vertical play in it, about 1/4". Don't worry, that wasn't the issue, but I had them replace it for the issue it was in there for at the time. I was commuting about 40 miles to work and 2nd gear decided to give out as I was coming up to the light, right in front of the Dodge dealership. Limped it in and got a ride to work.

Headed out to a job 800 miles away, with the truck in the shop. They had it for a month and when I got home, picked it up and it shifted like it was new

Now, current issue. Put about 2000 miles on it and started noticing a pulsing hum coming from the rear of the truck...Ugh. The noise and slight vibration started at around 60mph and increased until it was downright annoying at 75mph. Pinion bearing or U-joint, first thought. Dropped it off at Anchorage Chrysler/Dodge. I described it as a vibrating hum. Apparently, the guy at the service counter entered just the vibration part of the description. They called me on my way back home and told me it was done and the service tech found no issues with the described problem. Picked it up, started the drive home, a bit ticked off, called Dodge back. Told them something is definitely making noise. Brought it back in after an after-hour call from "Service Guy X". He said bring it back and he would make sure the description matched a current issue with the rear diff.

Dropped it back off on a Tuesday. It started snowing that afternoon, and quit by that night. (There is a reason for stating the weather). Waited til after work and drove by the dealership. There is my truck, parked in the same place it was when they parked it that morning. Wednesday morning, another drive by, still there, after work, still there, Thursday morning, still there, afternoon, still there, Friday, same. This time I got out and looked at the diff cover to see if I noticed anything that was touched. All I saw was a spill that was wiped on the fill plug of the diff cover. No clean edged bolts, no clean sealant around the cover. Friday afternoon, I call. They informed me that the mechanic had just finished it up and I could come get it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and didn't mention anything about the snow still being on it, since it hadn't snowed since that Tuesday. Supposedly, they replaced the ring and pinion and outer diff bearings. They said it had unusual wearing.

Drove it home, REALLY ticked off! Still made noise. Called "Service Guy X" and informed him I was going to be bringing it back in. Dropped it off this Tuesday. That morning, I went for a 10 mile round trip test drive with the service manager. At about 60, all he had to say was, "Oh, that noise, that's a Cummins common sound." I argued with him and stepped on the throttle. Between 70 and 73mph, there was that frickin annoying, loud hum with slight vibration. "Oh, thats not normal! Sounds like a driveline issue." I'm thinking, "No, sounds like the ring and pinion you guys never touched." It sat in the lot all day. I'm sure they were backed up. This morning its in the shop.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get it back.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
sldhed8

Little update info:

Contacted Dodge. He said they have the front driveline off trying to isolate the noise. Told me that they have found that it seems to be coming from the front. He couldn't give me any info on what they were "guessin", but that it might be in there for either a couple days or a week, depending on if they had the parts in stock. Hmmm.

Forgot to give you guys a little more info on the issue. Dodge service manager asked before he got in the truck, whether or not the T-case had ever had any work done to it. Struck me as a good question, but was it a guess at the problem before he ever rode in it?

Also, slowing down, I got a winding noise I hadn't heard ever before. It started at about 45 and was there til stopped.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

To all that reads....Condensed form of story:
Originally Posted by sldhed8

Now, current issue. Put about 2000 miles on it and started noticing a pulsing hum coming from the rear of the truck...Ugh. The noise and slight vibration started at around 60mph and increased until it was downright annoying at 75mph. Pinion bearing or U-joint, first thought. ....

I'm sure they were backed up. This morning its in the shop.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get it back.
I'll move this to the Cummins section for ya, but it almost sounds like your carrier bearing is going bad.
Just seen your update...I still think it's the carrier bearing.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:44 PM
sldhed8

Thought they were only on 2wd? I did a little snooping around and apparently they have them on the long beds, but mine's a quad cab short bed if that makes any difference.

Last edited by sldhed8; 01-26-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
sldhed8

News from the stealership. Replacing the front driveline. Sitting there til mid next week for a new one from Portland. Told him they better make absolutely sure before I sit around for another week.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 PM
sldhed8

New update:

Couldn't sit there and let them tell me that the driveline was the problem. Went in and talked to the mechanic in person. He don't think its the problem either. He said that he thinks its actually the front diff, since he was the one who rebuilt the rear because of uneven wear on the ring and pinion from the over preload setting done at the factory. As per Dodge Warranty, he has to replace the front driveline before proceeding to tear apart the front diff. He made sure to order all the parts for it too, just in case he's right. I would hate to sit for another week to wait.

On a side note...with only 3500 miles left of the warranty, the mechanic said, "When you bring it back in...tell the service rep that you have a loose feeling in the front end." Replacing all the ball joints and complete tie-rod system. I don't feel so bad about leaving it there now. Glad I finally talked to the right person.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 PM
sldhed8
Default Finally!

So, figured I should fill you all in on what the vibrating hum might be. After the service manager blamed the Bully Dog exhaust drone, I bought an FTE resonator to cure that. I would back FTE 100% on the 30" model...still have the Bully sound, but no annoying drone. After driving to work with the noise getting worse and at a lesser mph and rpm, and surging at idle, started thinking I was having fuel issues. Filter has been recently replaced.

I read a bunch on here as well as Cumminsforum, and talked to one of the members on there that had similar issues. He had #4 and #6 injectors that were bad and caused those symptoms. Just so happened that he emailed me as I got to work with his issue as I was thinking the same. Drove immediately to Dodge and told them I had an idea of what the problem was...he said, "Thats what I was thinking it was, just couldn't tell because of the drone." So, they are replacing all 6 injectors on the 9th and I'll let you all know if that was it.

New issue with the resonator being on...now I can hear other issues more clearly to take care of in 2500 miles of warranty left. Like the transfer case howl.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
sldhed8

Oh, so the tally since Sept.

New turbo
Transmission rebuild
Rear diff
Front driveline
Front diff
new injectors

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
sldhed8

Update: I hate ANCHORAGE CHRYSLER DODGE! Picked up my truck on Thursday and drove it home. It sounded like an old 12 valve clattering down the road. Humm still there and now combined with the obnoxious injector clatter, I'm about at wits end. Dropped by Dodge this morning to make the service manager go for another ride. He blamed fuel grade on the injector noise and said he couldn't hear the humming vibration anymore. ARRRRRGH!!!! Probably because the injectors were so loud. It was still there though. Told him I would be calling corporate and dealing with them. He had already informed them that I would be calling. He won't back me up at all. I about left him on the side of the road in -1F. Wishing I had now to make my point.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM
walbern1

Hi sldhed8, have you made any progress with this? you have described my problem to a "T". I would even use "Pulsing harmonic vibration". I'm just starting to look at solutions but you've already ruled out a lot of what I would try.

Let me know.

Quick Reply: 04.5 Cummins 2500 w/ Hum/Slight Vibration from Rear