Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad fuel mileage/smoke/smell of fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:38 PM
cfd303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad fuel mileage/smoke/smell of fuel

Well for the last 8 months or so I have been writting about my truck getting really bad fuel mileage, smoking, and smelling of fuel. I have had some good feed back from you all, and thank you. Well after taking it to another dealer (4th) they finally found that the injector pump is leaking. Could that be the cause of my problems in your opionion. Unfortunatlly to the cost of 3k. Now for the question. Can I do this myself? I did find a remfd on NAPA for 1500. Is that advisable? Or should I take it to a Cummins dealer?

Is this something that can wait if I can tolerate with the smell of fuel. I have yet to see anything on the engine block or on the ground.

Thanks again

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a very simple fix to swap the pumps out, not too much to it at all, but get a good look at it, maby the sensor, FCA, ect might be leaking and could possably get away with changing an 0-ring

Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM
cfd303
Professional

What about timing of the fuel pump to the injectors? Is that something to worry about, or just remove the old pump and install the new pump.

Is there a Chilton manual or somthing to help out?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no timing on the common rails, the injection pump (aka high pressure pump) only perpous is to build pressure, timing is done electrically through the injectors

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional
Default Injection pump

I replaced mine a few months back, no real big deal. Found a new one on Ebay for $600. took me a few hours farting aound and i was done.... You can do it, you will need a small puller to remove ther gear!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
cfd303
Professional
Default Bad fuel mileage/smoke/smell of fuel UPDATED

Took the truck to a different dealer (I think that is the 4th one now) for a coolant leak and guess what they found. The bolt that holds the return line at the rear of the engine was loose, go figure. But the cool thing too is they found no coolant and did a pressure test w/no leaking down after an hour.

Lets see what this does with the mileage/smoke, and obviously it will take away the fuel smell

That would have really sucked putting in a injector pump and it didnt fix the problem.
Thanks for all of your guys input.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
cfd303
Professional

I hate to jinx it but took the truck for a little trip and I got 18.3mpg (calculated) and the little liar gauge was at 18.6. Dang, but the next day the ck engine light was on. Go figure... After 5 or 6 times of starting the truck it went away now, so I am not sure if an O'Rileys can check the code being inactive or not. I asked the question in another post could this be hanppening because of the crank sensor and would that cause high idle engine lope?

Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
jwblock

[quote=cfd303;2418925]Took the truck to a different dealer (I think that is the 4th one now) for a coolant leak and guess what they found. The bolt that holds the return line at the rear of the engine was loose, go figure.

Could you be more specific please? I have the same problem on my 06. 10.2 city 11.1 highway. I smell fuel. I have gotten 16 towing and 20 highway in the past.

What bolt? What return line?

Old 03-14-2011, 12:26 PM
cfd303
Professional

[quote=jwblock;2445922]
Originally Posted by cfd303
Took the truck to a different dealer (I think that is the 4th one now) for a coolant leak and guess what they found. The bolt that holds the return line at the rear of the engine was loose, go figure.

Could you be more specific please? I have the same problem on my 06. 10.2 city 11.1 highway. I smell fuel. I have gotten 16 towing and 20 highway in the past.

What bolt? What return line?

It was the banjo bolt on the rear of the block. It is the high pressure return line. It was loose, however there are gaskets or "o" rings on there too. the dealership to keep an eye on it. if it leaks again they would replace the gaskets.

also i did another little trip out of town and i got just around 17.5 mpg and the lie-o-meter said 22. still better than the 10 i was getting.

but the bad part is the driving around town. at one point i got 7mpg. I am a f.f. and my truck will sit on a scene so i am cautious about letting it idle. so i am running the truck to a call and then shut it off trying to see if that helps.

i also notice my truck is on high idle alot when parked. any ideas there.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Your high idle is because you live in WI. When it is cold outside the truck will go into the high idle based on input from the IAT and coolant temp sensors. The truck will idle up in less than a couple of minutes even if you just got done driving down the I-state with a trailer. If the computer senses that things are cooling down, it will raise the idle. There is nothing you can/should do to prevent this except move to a warmer climate.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel mileage/smoke/smell of fuel