Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2006 Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
horseplay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 tie rods

I dont know where to post this but I have to let it out. This is the second outter tie rod that I have had to replace. The first time I was hauling a sick horse to the doctor and sat for hours at the side of the road. This time the rod broke in my driveway. Last time we replaced the entire system and were refused help from Chrysler because nobody died! This time the outter rod broke and along with it my 800 dollar rim was ruined. Chrysler gave me the run around about having my 2006 fixed. It is not in the recall list, but it is the second time it has happened. When the bill kept getting higher and higher I decided to go to a very well known shop in our area and have them fix it. They got the part ( 89.00), not necessary for the whole assembly as it was replaced with the "new and improved" version last year. He found me a used rim and did the wheel alingment for 500 dollars. It would have been over $2000 with Dodge. When the shop called the dealership to get the part the parts guy said...what is going on with Dodge. I have replaced 4 of these so called improved tie rods this week alone. Mind you I had the improved system. My truck is a 2006. The part is not built well, and although they are recalling this for later models they are ignoring it for the 2006. I know it will break again. I dont know when. I dont want this to get missed. I want to make sure that people know that this is a dangerous thing and not something to get hushed about. Take care of your recalled trucks, but definitly check the 2006. You are fortunate if it hasnt broken already. It will likely break soon, of course Chrysler won't do anything unless someone dies. Spread the word.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be getting a wheel alignment in the next month or so, we'll see what comes of that.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:57 AM
StrangerDanger

86 the Dodge junk and upgrade to a heavy duty Thuren cross over steering kit. The factory stuff is garbage for serious use. They're essentially wearable parts that you are going to have to replace no matter how carefully you drive the truck.

The key is to dump all the wearable rubber parts and switch to heavy duty heim joints and real beefy drag links and tie rods. These are 1.5" OD diameter DOM steel that is .25" thick. The heims are mounted to the pitman arm and knuckles via a .75" bolt. You have to drill out the knuckles and the pitman arm to .75". This can be a real bastard to do, and takes a real mans drill to get the job done.

Once you've set your alignment, you're done. This setup isn't going to get knocked out of alignment. You can drive over curbs all day long without worrying about that.

This is a true cross over setup. The tie rod connects knuckle to knuckle.

dodge98.jpg?t=1303803946

steering13.jpg?t=1303804258

steering14.jpg?t=1303804610

Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
3500/5.9/junk

I had my recall done and have put on 20k miles since. Tie rod end blew apart again and I can't find the replacement part number

Old 12-04-2011, 05:22 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot I posted in this thread. My Tierods were replaced under the recall on my 06 MC 3500. No issues prior or following.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram diesel 4x4 tie rods