Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

planing ideas for my next truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:38 AM
NCC74656
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planing ideas for my next truck

I am doing research into my next ram. (currently have 5.2) im leaning towards a diesel and have a few questions about them.

how long do the turbos last on the engine? how many miles do these engines go before they fail and what is the most common failure on them?

im coming from the 2nd gen forum to wich im going to link here for reference on the questions ive already asked.

ive been looking at the engine types. ive been reading that the 12V diesel might have more low end torque over the 24V but the 24V would have more high end torque. if that's the case im leaning towards the 12V.

second is the fuel system. ive read that dodge changed to a common rail system in 03. if that's the case, how hard would it be to convert a 99-01 to a common rail?

how many miles do the turbos last in the 2500's? id assume 60K or so but most everyone i know had a gas engine so id appreciate any experience you all have with the diesel side of things on here.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ext-truck.html

thanks

Quick Reply: planing ideas for my next truck