Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9B rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM
NCC74656
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9B rebuild

I am planing to rebuild the engine on my next truck once i buy it. im new to the diesel scene and am fairly new to advanced auto work.

it will be a 24V I6 in a 2nd gen ram. I want to push more power out of it for hauling and off road action. my goal is to have <400HP and 600ft/lbs of torque. this will be used for on road daily driver for at least the winter parts of the year. id like to keep double didget MPG. if possable ive read that people have a switch to change between computer programing in there trucks. one for high mpg daily drive and one for max torque and power when hauling or off road use.

what is a good brand/website for quality diesel parts and how would you recommend achieving these results and am i talking in the realm of reality or fantasy for my plan?

i found a rebuild kit online but am not sure if its any good or meant for the performance i want to achieve? this is the kit: http://www.dieselautopower.com/produ...uild%20kit.htm

thanks.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:07 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

planning on buying a junk one??? unless its got a known problem you WILL NOT have to rebuild this motor, its a waste of your time and money, as long as you change the oil properly they will litterally go forever. There is an add on farm show mag, its a cummmins with 1.7 million miles on a motor with the factory torque on the bolts. as far as computer switch, if its a 24v cummins you can get a program or tuner. Programmer you plufg in and run through a setup where as a tuner is adjust on the fly with a switch like you mentioned. if its 12v you wont be so lucky, the only adjust on the fly you have there is your right foot. the 12vs ran from 89 - 98 and the 24vs from 98 to 02. The 24 was introduced halfway through 98, so if you see a sig or something with a 98.5, its a 24v. if you are serious about a cummins and more info, head over to cummins forum, there are some knowlegable people there. Not saying there isnt here but over there they specilize. as far as full econ, with my lead foot i never get below 15 with mine, hand calculated, even with a trailer load occasionally.

heres the article http://www.farmshow.com/issues/35/02/350201.asp

Last edited by dodgetruck2; 04-28-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 AM
NCC74656
Rookie
Default my thoughts might be out of line for a diesel truck

I was planing to do a full rebuild on the truck. 100% disassembly, coat the frame, paint the body, engine, tranny, and transfer-case rebuild. i was going to run new electrical and waterproof the truck. i already have 2 axels out of a 95 ive rebuilt for heavy off road use that i plan to swap into this new truck. (dana 60/80, 4.88, ARB)

this would be my first ever diesel and also first time working on them so im very new to the cummins scene. ive had dodge all my life, even did all my drivers in a 99 1500.

i priced out the engine rebuild at around 1100 bucks total after machining but im not certain on piston quality. from what you say this seems to be more of an issue when buying a gas engine.

as far as going over to the cummins forums. i thought i was already on the cummuin forums? o.O

Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star

www.cumminsforum.com

I understand your plans, I just don't think the rebuild is neccesary. If your going to though and are wworried about parts, dont buy them anywhere else then from Cummins. Unless you buy a 12v the elcetrical will suck. The 12v atleast has next to nothing going to the motor. I aint going to stop you, and I aint goign to try to change your mind on any of it. Just htought I would share my $.02. Sounds like you are going a little more custom then I originally thought.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM
NCC74656
Rookie

that brings me to another question. i was looking into the 12/24V engines and from what ive read im under the impression that the 24V has more power, is easier to mod, has a stronger block and a ****ty fuel pump. the 12V is easier to water proof but produces less power.

am i on the right page?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

yep..... except the block, there are some dreaded 53 blocks running around, I will never own one, but you could go forever without having a problem with it. Modding is kind of what you can do. 24v all you do is plug in a computer programer and go. 12v requires a toolbox, a long afternoon and a cooler of beer. The fuel pumps are known for going out on these, although mine has 190k on the factory one.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
NCC74656
Rookie

allright, i suppose the 24V will be the best for what im trying to do. sense the 24V is electronic fuel... has anyone every converted it to common rail? is this possible? advisable? or worth while?

Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star

anything is possible however, if you want a common rail just buy a newer truck, you will be way ahead. I dont have much to say on that.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM
NCC74656
Rookie

ive considered buying a newer one but... i just cant bring myself to move away from the body style/interior of the 2nd gen. i dont ever see myself driving anything other than a 2nd gen ram.

as for the common rail.. if there were a kit, or perhaps it was a common thing with good benefit i would consider it. mind you i had no idea there was a middle ground from the 12V system to a common rail. i just read about the hybrid (for lack of a better term) that the 24V uses a few days ago. in the end its just one of those things where: if cost is less than the engine is worth and performance gains are to be had then id consider it. if its something more suited for the crazy side of things then im fine with the stock system.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star

the only advantage to common rail that I see, others can chime in with there own facts or opinions, is the common rail system itself. It burns cleaner allowing more power with stock tuning, its also newer so technology, (whether its good or bad) is on your side. The newer these motors get the better they got overall, they all had there flaws, but for the most part they are better. Until you start getting to the 6.7. The motor itself is good, but anything having to do with emissions is a joke and is greatly shortening the life of that motor. IMO

I am in the same boat as you, I dont see my sel fin anything other then a 2nd gen. The only reason I would move out of them is to get a crew cab or mega cab. I love the look inside and out. That is why I jump on the truck I have when I came across it. 02 and a 6spd, the miles were kinda high but it was the last year for the body style and the 24v motor(non common rail 24v).

Quick Reply: 5.9B rebuild