Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transfer flow in bed tank installation

Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
endicott_jb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer flow in bed tank installation

So, I picked up a transferflow in bed auxillery tank from a friend of mine for dirt cheap. Well, when I went to pick it up, he wasn't home but he left his son there to help. So, grrrrr. Instructions, long gone, labels, not even thought about, and the funny little black box, who knows what that's for; so in the bottom of my tool box it went. So anywho, I'm gonna simplify it up a little bit and make it manually controlled by a toggle in the cab seeing how I will only use it to refill the main tank.

So, step one, was to make the bed fit the tank(my friend gave me the dimensions differently than how I asked and after reading the website, it turns out the 96 gallon tanks are not designed to fit in short beds). So I set the tank on some wood blocks that I had lying around and marked where on the wheel wells I needed to massage down a little. Turns out, metal has a breaking point so I went through the wheel wells. No biggy that's why I have a welder.

Step 2, figure out which line is which on the tank. The tank I have has an in tank fuel pump so no worries there and since it's just gonna run into the other tank, no problem with fuel pressure so no regulator needed. Obviously, the vent is the easy one, it's the one not attached to the pump. what I did to figure out which line was which I hooked up the wiring first. Blue=hot Black= ground make sure you ground it to a good ground otherwise it doesn't work properly. Using the toggle that I attached to the pump, I looked to see which hose fuel came out of(I had to get the old fuel out anyway). Obviously that was my supply side and just so no one gets confused, the other is the return line.

Step 3, run the hoses you need to the tank. Like I said in my first paragraph, I am running my supply to the return on the main tank and the return from the engine is going to the auxillary tank. Now the vent is a little tricky because you are gonna be going from a 3/8 hose to a 3/4 hose. I am using a t reducer to do this. I chose brass just to simplify things(I'm a little bit OCD so I can't stand mixing metals). Ensure that your vent line is tightened down as best as possible. If not, you can get some funky engine codes.

And voila! you have yourself an in the bed transfer tank. Pictures are soon to come. gotta find my camera.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer flow in bed tank installation