Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help with trip/fuel computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 PM
3500reddragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with trip/fuel computer

Does anyone know what makes the overhead trip/fuel computer not work? Both my and my business partners' Dodge 3500 dually diesel computers don't work (2nd gen for mine, 1st for his, but look identical). On both, the compass & temp setting work fine, but when you switch over to the computer, the display is blank. ...Obviously this is a pretty common problem! Any suggestions/advice? Could it be as simple as bad cold solders?

Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 AM
3500reddragon
Default RE: Help with trip/fuel computer

Is everyone telling me (indirectly) that no one here has ever experienced this problem? WTF?

Old 07-08-2005, 07:36 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Help with trip/fuel computer

I have this problem. But I have a feeling it stems from the truck being in Florida for most of it's life. When I took the overhead console apart, the plastic was cracked and brittle. The truck must've sat out in the sun all the time, and since the top of the roof gets the hottest, it caused everything to crack and warp. It also caused the auto-dimming mirror to fall off the window at some point. I think I was able to fix the wiring for that, but it's hard to tell if it works or not since I have a topper. I have a feeling the heat also affected the trip computer, although I couldn't see anything noticeably wrong with it.

And since car electronics were @#$% in the early 90s (I've re-soldered a number of Grand Prix clusters in my life), I plan on skipping the annoying hunt for the bad joint/diode/ground. I'm just going to order a new computer from ChryslerPartsDirect sometime down the road when I have available funds. It's not at the top of my list right now. Those trip computers are never really that accurate. The one in my parents Caravan was always off, and the one in my Grand Prix isn't real accurate either. I'm happy with it for now, as long as the thermometer/compass function works

Quick Reply: Help with trip/fuel computer