Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

need info on 2011 ram diesel trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:11 PM
fordmanunsure
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on 2011 ram diesel trucks

I have owned ford trucks for many years now. I currently own a 02 f350 4x4 diesel. Am in the market for a new truck and am wondering about the 2011 dodge one ton dually 4x4. Can any dodge owners out there fill me in on the reliability of the cummins engine and dodges 4 wheel drive systems. How are dodges automatic transmissions when it comes to hauling?.. I am seriously considering a dodge truck but would like some true information from dodge owners...thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Cummins section,
FF

Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 PM
cchavez06
Rookie

I have a 2004 5.9 with the auto. The motor is as reliable as they come and will give you all the power wanted. The tranny though is a whole different story. The trans in these trucks are not very stout. I had to rebuild mine with just the stock power out put. As far as the four wheel drive I have never had a problem with mine in the year and a half I have had mine. Over all its a good truck but if I were looking for another one I would get the manual trans or get an auto that has already been replaced. Hopefully that helps.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Brian10

Originally Posted by fordmanunsure
I have owned ford trucks for many years now. I currently own a 02 f350 4x4 diesel. Am in the market for a new truck and am wondering about the 2011 dodge one ton dually 4x4. Can any dodge owners out there fill me in on the reliability of the cummins engine and dodges 4 wheel drive systems. How are dodges automatic transmissions when it comes to hauling?.. I am seriously considering a dodge truck but would like some true information from dodge owners...thanks
Some variations but I may offer some insight. I have a 2010 2500 crew cab 4x4 slt. The transmission is a standard and every thing is stock. I have 3:73 gears and it is a shortbed.
Now, that said, I am very happy with my truck! It has 11K miles on it and is still breaking in...
I opted for the manual transmission b/c I am more comfortable w/ them. I have hauled skid steers, hay, and some cattle with this truck and it has not failed me yet.
The interior of the Dodge will not compete with the Ford, however the tried and true cummins will make up for the "sissy" amenities.. HA! I have tracked my mileage unloaded and it is generally around 17-18.5 mpg when I stay between 55-62 miles an hour. The four wheel drive is reliable and the manual transmission is also worthy of any serious haulers.
My brother has the 5.9 and really likes my truck. It feels just as "stout" and will handle its own.
I feel like DOdge has worked the glitches out of the 6.7's and I am pleased to this point. Any questions please feel free to ask...

I do know a cpl of new Ford owners and they generally like the Ford. However, they do not like the fuel mileage and are uncertain about the longevity of the new engine...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 PM
sking
Veteran

If you don't mind owning the worst rated diesel at this current time, buy it. Dodge has a whole new engine setup coming out in late 2012 early 2013 that is supposed to get rid of the DPF/EGR and Urea found in the cab and chassis trucks.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
fordmanunsure
Default thanks for the info

Originally Posted by cchavez06
i have a 2004 5.9 with the auto. The motor is as reliable as they come and will give you all the power wanted. The tranny though is a whole different story. The trans in these trucks are not very stout. I had to rebuild mine with just the stock power out put. As far as the four wheel drive i have never had a problem with mine in the year and a half i have had mine. Over all its a good truck but if i were looking for another one i would get the manual trans or get an auto that has already been replaced. Hopefully that helps.
thats what ive been hearing about the engines. I dont mind a standard transmission but the wife cannot drive one, thats the only reason i asked...fords auto isnt the greatest either. I have always thought dodges 4x4 system was good...thanks for the info, it helps

Old 01-10-2011, 01:42 PM
fordmanunsure
Default Thanks for your information

Originally Posted by brian10
some variations but i may offer some insight. I have a 2010 2500 crew cab 4x4 slt. The transmission is a standard and every thing is stock. I have 3:73 gears and it is a shortbed.
Now, that said, i am very happy with my truck! It has 11k miles on it and is still breaking in...
i opted for the manual transmission b/c i am more comfortable w/ them. I have hauled skid steers, hay, and some cattle with this truck and it has not failed me yet.
The interior of the dodge will not compete with the ford, however the tried and true cummins will make up for the "sissy" amenities.. Ha! I have tracked my mileage unloaded and it is generally around 17-18.5 mpg when i stay between 55-62 miles an hour. The four wheel drive is reliable and the manual transmission is also worthy of any serious haulers.
My brother has the 5.9 and really likes my truck. It feels just as "stout" and will handle its own.
I feel like dodge has worked the glitches out of the 6.7's and i am pleased to this point. Any questions please feel free to ask...

I do know a cpl of new ford owners and they generally like the ford. However, they do not like the fuel mileage and are uncertain about the longevity of the new engine...
i have a friend that has a 04 3500 dually, and his is manual also..my wife cant drive a manual (guess im gonna have to teach her)...i know it has a whole lot more power than my ford does when hauling tractors and hay..i like the fuel mileage quote as well..we driven his unloaded and have gotten 21 mpg (2 wheel drive)...the ford just doesnt get the mileage im looking for and just doesnt have the power...i appreciate the information..its a big help

Old 01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
fordmanunsure
Default Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by sking
if you don't mind owning the worst rated diesel at this current time, buy it. Dodge has a whole new engine setup coming out in late 2012 early 2013 that is supposed to get rid of the dpf/egr and urea found in the cab and chassis trucks.
thanks for the info...thats what i was wondering about the new cummins engines..i know a friend has an 04 dodge diesel and his is good, but was wondering about the newer models..thanks for reply

Old 01-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Brian10

Originally Posted by sking
If you don't mind owning the worst rated diesel at this current time, buy it. Dodge has a whole new engine setup coming out in late 2012 early 2013 that is supposed to get rid of the DPF/EGR and Urea found in the cab and chassis trucks.
How do you figure that? The 2010's and 11's don't even have to have UREA and they have worked the kinks out of the 6.7's? So, why wait and buy a 12 or 13 when you can get one that isn't required to utilize UREA and has pretty much had the kinks worked out of it? The 12 and 13's will definitely be more $$$ too.

The DPF and EGR aren't that big of a deal and by the time the 2012 and 13's are out they will have programmers that will completely eliminate them.

The worst rated diesel part is a real funny part too...

Old 01-10-2011, 03:47 PM
sking
Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian10
How do you figure that? The 2010's and 11's don't even have to have UREA and they have worked the kinks out of the 6.7's? So, why wait and buy a 12 or 13 when you can get one that isn't required to utilize UREA and has pretty much had the kinks worked out of it? The 12 and 13's will definitely be more $$$ too.

The DPF and EGR aren't that big of a deal and by the time the 2012 and 13's are out they will have programmers that will completely eliminate them.

The worst rated diesel part is a real funny part too...
Let me type it so you can understand . 2012-13 NEW Cummins has a NEW system that is supposed to rid the EGR and DPF without using urea on the 2500&3500 trucks. It will also have 175 more HP, but all this is just hearsay at this point. You say the kinks are worked out but if you call adding twice as much fuel to TRY and clean the DPF good luck with that. If you read on other diesel forums you will find all the problems that still exist on the 2010-11 trucks along with a few more. As for the deletes of the EGR and DPF you will also find on other forums, owners in shock because their truck wont pass inspection and some that have been fined for removing them. As for the worst rated diesel (2010-11 6.7) the reports are all over the magazines since the heads up testing has been reported in. They are as follows 1 Chevy 2 Ford 3 Dodge, so being there are only 3 players in the diesel truck market that makes the 6.7 the worst rated.

Quick Reply: need info on 2011 ram diesel trucks