Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Could We Soon See a Ram 1500 Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 PM
bigjohnellinas
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just because it a older cummins doesnt mean anything diesels usually get around 20mpg ford dodge and chevy. which yes i know isnt really better than the hemi. But dont forget your getting a truck. saying good gas millage and truck in the same line is dumb. the point of getting a diesel is for reliability not for mpg, mpg is a plus and low end torque.

I think a 4 cylinder would sell if it matches power numbers. plus if they were to put a diesel in a 1500. for dodge or chevy it would be for mpg and not towing big trailers or hauling massive loads anyways, i would think.
i dont know about you but i would buy a 4 cyl turbo diesel in a 1500 especially if it made at least 400lbstq and got 22mpg

Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any experience with a 6.7 Cummins? I can tell you I need a good tail wind if I want to be able to calculate 20 mpg averages, even steady cruising at 60-70 mph. Without deleting the emissions crap, your typical 6.7 owner should report getting 12-16 mpg average. Ford and Chevy's recent offerings aren't much different.

Older trucks don't have the emissions crap, therefore they get better fuel economy. Your experience is out dated.

Now let's talk about reliability.

EGR - it takes carbon, collects it, then sends it back into your engine. Carbon is an abrasive, and NOT good for your cylinder walls or bearings. Some of the carbon collects in the oil and works its way through your engine, destroying everything it touches.

DPF - it collects the carbon, clogging up your exhaust until it performs a regeneration cycle. The regen cycle consists of dumping a LOT of extra fuel into your engine in order to raise EGTs. A portion of that extra fuel also winds up in your oil. People have posted engine oil analysis reports showing upwards of 20% diesel fuel in their motor oil. Diesel fuel washes the oil barrier off of bearings and cylinder walls, removing that protective layer. It also thins the oil out, which has a higher concentration of carbon, which in turn causes even more wear.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM
nibroc
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you got a hell yeah---amen to all ya said!!!!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:21 PM
canales6011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 CRD on a Dodge Ram 1500

I currenlty own a 2004 Dodge Ram. Its Quad Cab 4 x 4 with a Hemi. I love the Hemi; nevertheless, my Hemi it's got too many miles (170,000) and it's time to get a new engine. I was wondering if it will be possible to install a 3.0 CRD diesel on my truck. I've looked all over the internet and I haven't found someone that has attempted that engine swap. If it is possible, will I see some imporvement on the MPG?

Quick Reply: Could We Soon See a Ram 1500 Diesel?