Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2006 RAM2500 wiring issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:11 PM
tl1000r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 RAM2500 wiring issues

So I'm having some issues with my 06 Ram 2500 CTD wiring. The right turn signal on the trailer will not work. I checked for power at the 7 pin plug and no luck. I traced the issue back to the back of the fuse panel (PCM). I'm getting a signal on the left (yellow) but not the right (lt green) off the PCM. The wire from the PCM to the trailer has been tested and is fine. I removed the entire fuse panel and began to take apart but do not want to continue for fear of causing more issues. Any ideas? If it is the PCM (PN - p56049 on the side of the controler) does it need to be re-flashed at the dealership and would the costs be? Worst case I could steal the power from the right turn signal at the PCM and feed it accross to the trailer. HELP!!!!

Old 11-28-2011, 12:55 AM
jason_blocker
Amateur

Mine is doing the same thing. I think I've read the PCM has to be reflashed? Not sure on that though. I've thought about putting a modulite HD on mine and hopefully eliminating this problem. Anyone done this? Not trying to jack your thread tl1000r.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:43 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tl1000r
So I'm having some issues with my 06 Ram 2500 CTD wiring. The right turn signal on the trailer will not work. I checked for power at the 7 pin plug and no luck. I traced the issue back to the back of the fuse panel (PCM). I'm getting a signal on the left (yellow) but not the right (lt green) off the PCM. The wire from the PCM to the trailer has been tested and is fine. I removed the entire fuse panel and began to take apart but do not want to continue for fear of causing more issues. Any ideas? If it is the PCM (PN - p56049 on the side of the controler) does it need to be re-flashed at the dealership and would the costs be? Worst case I could steal the power from the right turn signal at the PCM and feed it accross to the trailer. HELP!!!!
Tl,

The only information I could find is a TSB regarding the TIPM. Not sure if you have any stored codes or not but I am posting it anyway just in case it could help. Not sure as to the cost of the flash though if this is the issue. TSB is below.

NUMBER: 08-021-06 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 13, 2006

SUBJECT:
TIPM Flash - DTC's Indicating Short Circuits In The Wiring On The Trailer Or No Engine
Crank With DTC P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves a discussion and reprogramming of the Totally Integrated Power
Module (TIPM).
MODELS:
2006 (DR/DH/D1) Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to April 03, 2006 (MDH 0403XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customer may experience any of the following TIPM Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's):
B166B - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Low. Trailer harness left lamp circuit
is shorted to ground.
B166C - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit High. Trailer harness left lamp circuit
is shorted to battery voltage.
B178C - Left Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Over Current. Trailer harness left
lamp circuit is intermittently grounding.
B166F - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Low. Trailer harness right lamp
circuit is shorted to ground.
B1670 - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit High. Trailer harness right lamp
circuit is shorted to battery voltage.
B166E - Right Trailer Tow Lamp Control Circuit Over Current. Trailer harness right
lamp circuit is intermittently grounding.
B1667 - Back Up Lamp Feed Low. Trailer harness back up circuit is shorted to
NUMBER: 08-021-06 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: October 13, 2006
ground.
B2215 - Front Control Module Internal (TIPM). An internal fault code counter has
exceeded its limit of 250 counts and one or more electrical outputs controlled by the
TIPM have been disabled.
P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low (TIPM). The output feed current to the starter
solenoid has exceeded the upper current limit of 75 amps. This may result in a
no-crank condition.
DISCUSSION:
DTC's B1667, B166B, B166E, B166F, B178C and B2215:
1. These DTC's indicate that a (hard or intermittent) short circuit to GROUND exists in
the wiring of one or more of the TRAILER electrical harness circuits.
2. The TIPM retries the output on each ignition cycle or request (brake or turn signal
activation) in an attempt to enable the output in case the fault is intermittent.
3. DTC's B1667, B166B, B166E, B166F, and B178C may occur individually or in
combination with each other.
4. For the two over current DTC's, B166E and B178C, the fault is set when the TIPM has
detected electrical loads on the circuit greater than 15 amps.
5. If DTC B2215 is also present with one of more of the above DTC's, then this fault code
indicates that the TIPM has detected the faulted condition (short) on one or more of
the trailer circuits more than 250 times. When detected more than 250 times, the TIPM
disables the electrical output (turns off) to the respective faulty trailer circuit to protect
that circuit and the system.
6. Short circuits can be intermittent and will require diagnosis and repair of the trailer wire
harness.
7. Once the faulty circuit has been repaired, the dealer must use a scan tool to enable
the respective trailer circuit that was previously been turned off (disabled) due to DTC
B2215.
8. The new TIPM software raises the TIPM circuit trigger point from 15 amps. to 20
amps.
DTC's B166C and B1670:
1. These DTC's indicate that a short circuit to BATTERY voltage (12 volts) exists in the
wiring of one of the TRAILER electrical harness circuits.
DTC B2215 - Front Control Module (TIPM):
1. This fault code occurs when the TIPM detects a short (to ground or to battery) on one
of the trailer circuits more than 250 times.
2. When B2215 is present with one of the above trailer circuit faults the TIPM will turn off
(disable) the respective faulty trailer circuit or circuits.
3. This internal fault DOES NOT mean that the TIPM module is defective.
4. The TIPM memory can be cleared, this action will turn on a previously disabled trailer
circuit. If possible, the fault in the circuit should be repaired first before clearing the
TIPM memory.
5. DO NOT replace the TIPM without first attempting to clear the TIPM memory.
6. The dealer will need a scan tool to clear the TIPM memory.
7. If one or more of the TIPM outputs are disabled due to one of these conditions, normal
operation can be restored a maximum of five (5) times.
8. The TIPM will be rendered inoperative on the sixth attempt to clear the TIPM memory.
At this point the TIPM must be replaced. The DTC(s) that indicates the problem and
DTC 2215 will both remain ACTIVE. Neither fault code will can be cleared at this point.
08-021-06 REV. A -2-
DTC P1277 - Starter Control Circuit 2 Low (TIPM):
1. The TIPM monitors the output current to the starter solenoid for over-current
conditions.
2. The DTC is set when the output current to starter solenoid exceeds 75 amps.
3. On trucks equipped with a diesel engine, there may be times in cold climates when it is
normal for the starter solenoid current to exceed 75 amps.
4. If DTC B2215 is present in addition to DTC P1277, then a starter solenoid circuit
over-current condition has been detected by the TIPM module more than 250 times. At
this point, the circuit to the starter solenoid is turned off until the TIPM memory is
cleared.
5. The new TIPM software raises the TIPM current trigger point for DTC P1277 from 75
amps. to 100 amps.
DIAGNOSIS:
If any of the DTC's listed above are present, perform the Repair Procedure.
NOTE: The Repair Procedure (TIPM flash) currently can not be performed using the
StarMOBILE™ in its STANDALONE mode. Use the StarSCAN™ to perform
the Repair Procedure, or use the StarMOBILE™ in its CONNECTED mode to
perform the Repair Procedure.
SPECIAL TOOLS / EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:
NPN Battery Charger
CH9401 StarSCAN® Tool
CH9404 StarSCAN® Vehicle Cable
CH9409 StarSCAN® Documentation Kit
CH9410 StarSCAN® Ethernet Cable, 12 ft.
CH9412 StarSCAN® Software Update Device Kit
TechCONNECT PC or equivalent
REPAIR PROCEDURE - USING THE INTERNET TO RETRIEVE THE FLASH FILE:
NOTE: Before performing this Repair Procedure, the operating software in the
StarSCAN®; must be programmed with software release level 7.02 SP1 or
higher. The software release level is visible in the blue header at the top of
the StarSCAN® screen.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 AM
tl1000r

Thanks for the info. It was a big help. I will go talk to the local dealer today and hopefully have some good news later this week. Thanks

Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
tl1000r

So I went to the dealer today. the TIPM part number is 56049891AR. According to the parts guy, all parts start as AA so this part has had many updates/upgrades based on the AR tail. Anyway, sells for $1144 Canadian and he will sell it to me for $950. Forget that so I did some more research and some people are having luck having the dealer clear codes out. I'm going to try this next and if that fails I will rewire the backside of the TIPM to pull power from my right rear turn signal. I'll keep you updated. Hopefully this helps sopmeone in the future

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM
brettj2408
Captain

They are able to flash your TIPM to the highest available part #

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM
tl1000r

OK...finally got to the dealership. Had them reflash the TIPM to the most current updates and now all the trailer light work again! Cost me $40. Well, hope this never happens to you but if it does, try the reflash first before they try and stick you with a $1000 bill for a new TIPM.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tl1000r
OK...finally got to the dealership. Had them reflash the TIPM to the most current updates and now all the trailer light work again! Cost me $40. Well, hope this never happens to you but if it does, try the reflash first before they try and stick you with a $1000 bill for a new TIPM.

TL,

Glad it worked. I hate seeing people spend money on parts that are not needed.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
markleffler
Default Thanks!

I had the same issue. Thanks to your info I had the dealer reflash my TIPM and I'm good to go. $75
I think the original problem was a short on the trailer I was borrowing.
Thanks again!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

If there is a TSB that covers this issue you shouldn't have to pay anything.

Quick Reply: 2006 RAM2500 wiring issues