Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel - need advice by 11/3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
adgjqetuo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel - need advice by 11/3

Hello,

I have a deposit down on a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel crew cab. I was hoping someone here could give me some insight when I take another look at it tomorrow.

What are common failures? I come from the Jeep world, so i'm already a little familiar, but I know these can all be different. I want to make sure I look at everything I can before I pull the trigger.

It has 85k on it, and is in near perfect shape inside and out.

How is engine / transmission on this truck? It has the 325-hp, 5.9-liter I-6 (diesel) - which I was surprised it wasn't a V8?? How much will this tow?

The transmission I believe is the 47RE? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I know Jeep was notorious for poor transmissions - is this to be expected here?

Please help!

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe the transmission may be a 48RE. The diesel guys should know.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...s-section.html

Old 11-03-2012, 12:40 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In 06 you'll have the 48RE. They're ok for stock power levels if driven gently, at 85k it may be close to needing a rebuild. When you have it rebuilt, pop for a good torque converter at the very least.

Make sure you check the front suspension, steering, and bearings. Check the u-joints in the front axles, and look at the double joint in the front driveshaft and see if it has been greased (there is a grease fitting in there). Run it through the gears and make sure it shifts properly. Check for modifications. Cranking up the rail pressure can lead to cracked injectors, which aren't cheap.

The inline 6 is a better design than a v8. More torque down low from much fewer moving parts. No glow plugs to fail either.

Check the water pump. It seems that there have been a number of failures around 70-80k in trucks of that year. We just replaced one this week. Pull the oil cap and check for excessive blow-by.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 AM
adgjqetuo

Wow - 85k and it may be nearing a rebuild?? I wasn't hoping to sink a lot of money into this, I was looking for something that would generally last me if I kept up good maintenance practices.

My father in law owns a farm and has an 02 diesel (47 re I'm assuming) he is VERY rough with his truck - sometimes he takes it off roading on his land and the RPMs never go under 3 - I was hoping based on that these would be long lasting trucks (especially if I wasn't planing on being half as rough)

The driveshaft and joints were just serviced according to the dealer and the carfax. He said 2200 just went into working on the front end maintenance before he put it up for sale.

I wanted to buy it because in the next 4 or so years my goal is to own an RV and take the family camping. Until then though it would be a daily driver for work (15 miles each way).

Maybe I should hold off for a bit?

EDIT - I plan to keep this stock and it doesn't appear any modifications were added, I read the tranny finds the most trouble when someone re-programs it with a chip to add HP or torque, but stock they run ok.

Is there a way to check if the programming was ever messed with?

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 11-03-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
dlyter09
Champion

You think its nearing a rebuild at 85k?!?!?! Wow... OP its a great motor.. That cummins will easily last you a million miles if it is taken care of with regular service.. You will be able to tow darn near any camper you want to stick behind it.. The dealer will easily be able to check the programming on it.. If you like the truck dont pass it up.. The tranny will be fine as long as you dont go throwing a bunch of power adders to it.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
adgjqetuo

So I didn't wind up getting the truck. I took it out for another drive today and noticed in better day light there was rust building up around all the door seems. The one rear door was starting to bubble through on the exterior street-facing side about the size of quarters. Even the owners manual inside the glove compartment had water-soaked pages.

When I was dropping it back off at the dealer I then noticed gear oil all over the rear fender and on the tire - likely a axle seal but I decided to cancel the deal.

I want this truck to last me another 15 years if possible and I was afraid of the rust only getting worse in time.

I found another truck that's an 08 / 92k / 6.7 diesel. Not sure which trim, but it has Navigation, NV273 TC and it doesn't have the dual climate so no worry about blend doors.

How does the 6.7 compare to the 5.9 cummins?

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 11-03-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:25 AM
horatio102
Champion

The 6.7 is an awesome motor, but the emission control systems add a lot of expense and wear. If you're not afraid of violating federal emissions laws, yank it off and it's just as reliable as the 5.9 it replaced.

The 68rfe is a MUCH better transmission than the 48re. The VGT turbo is awesome, and towing with the 6.7/68rfe combo is much smoother than with the older trucks.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 AM
adgjqetuo

Originally Posted by horatio102
The 6.7 is an awesome motor, but the emission control systems add a lot of expense and wear. If you're not afraid of violating federal emissions laws, yank it off and it's just as reliable as the 5.9 it replaced.

The 68rfe is a MUCH better transmission than the 48re. The VGT turbo is awesome, and towing with the 6.7/68rfe combo is much smoother than with the older trucks.
Interesting...I did some research on the ECS and I see there are a lot of complaints from those who use the trucks as a daily driver and aren't towing much. That could be an issue for me. Is it easy to rip out? I don't believe NJ has diesel inspections so it may be worth looking into.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
horatio102
Champion

If you're handy with a wrench, the deletes aren't too hard.

Quick Reply: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 Diesel - need advice by 11/3