Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CTD and BioDiesel Question ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 04:01 AM
bentwings
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CTD and BioDiesel Question ....

Claify one point....in minnesota it is not alcohol in the diesel it is bio diesel. This is good news as the fuel is now slipery enough so the fuel pumps can have a long and happy life. If fuel was cheaper it would be even beter.

I run bio when ever I can get it. I have not had a plugged filter yet and I probably have 20k miles with bio-diesel in it. I can't say that mileage has been any better but I did get better on one trip both way over the same road.

The motor runs noticably quieter (dang) doesn't smoke as much (dang dang) and does smell like popcorn. Eveything is good about running bio diesel except heavy concentrations in the winter. B20 is fine. More than that at - deg temps and you have to get serious about preventing gelling by using proper additives. Have to anyway. I was good at -20 last year with a good load of PowerService from Wallys. StanaDyne works great too but harder to fine here.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:07 PM
DAGS
Rookie

whats the price of fuel in your area? in norhthern wisconsin its 3.29 and gas is 2.79 what the heck happened. last week gas was 2.99 and fuel was 2.99 any one else have a big increase in diesel? just wonderin.. Dags

2004.5 2500 quad cab 4400 miles loradeo truck cover 4x4
red/silver

Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here in North GA Diesel ranges from 3.59 down to 3.25 and reg unleaded is between 3.09 and 2.96.

here there is actualy a diesel shortage since the pumps in Louisiana were shut down during the hurricanes and have not been running at capacity for some time.

Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
sunshine

My partner has been working with veggie oil and making biofuel for many years now. Although I don't make biodiesel personally, I've learned a lot hanging out with the crew of "dieseleros". You can make it in a blender in your kitchen, small scale. But apparently it's pretty simple science to create a refinery out of recycled materials (500 gall drums from factories, etc), you just need a well-ventilated, grease-proof area (like a garage or shed), and the raw materials (like veggie oil, methenol, lye). My partner's been able to pull off about 700 gallons in a week working with one other person... it's worth the effort. *From what I understand, Dr. Rudolf Diesel, the creator of the diesel engine, originally intended them to run on veggie oil.*

Some good links about biofuel creation:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/main.htm
http://www.forums.biodieselnow.com/default.asp
http://pathtofreedom.com/pathproject...iodiesel.shtml

Hope that's helpful...

Old 11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
queenHEMI
All Star

Thanks Guys

Now I just need to find Somebody out there that is running Ag tractors on it ....

Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 PM
sunshine

Check out the biodiesel forum link above... they've got farmers/agricultural forums in there. They'd probably be able to talk to you about tractors.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:33 PM
queenHEMI
All Star

Thanks For the Heads up on that sunshine

Quick Reply: CTD and BioDiesel Question ....