Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

CNG help/suggestions

Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 AM
bigred8080
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNG help/suggestions

What's going on fellas?

Instead of hijacking the other CNG thread, I figured I'd start a new one.

I'm new to the idea of CNG. never even crossed my mind until I was bored the other day and started snooping around the alternative fuels section then googling from there and now I'm back here lol, with questions. Most have been asked before I'm sure.

The truck (08 mega, 8" lift with 37x13.50x20, black maxx) is my daily driver. I drive about 60 miles round trip Monday thru Friday. I used to get about 480 to a tank with averaged out to around 15 or so MPG. I recently replaced the tires and this kicked me back to 440 ish...yeah my old tires were pretty bald lol. My drive is 90% highway, 65-75 MPH. I just drove from tulsa to Houston and got 17.1 hand calculated on the first 340....little over half a tank.

I've "shopped" around some and have found a couple sites that have kits, both seem about the same, but the prices are quite different. One is 399 (cngedge) and 2 others one 500, the other like 1000 (mycngguy) I believe the difference in the two is one comes with a pyro and a more electronic set up the other doesn't. I also believe this is the difference in the two companies. My question is....which do I go with lol

I have also been tank shopping, both new and on eBay. eBay is chalk full of expired tanks, some pretty cheap. Idk, just seems like a gamble. But then again, new type 1s are like 800 for 5 GGE and type 4s..ha like 3200 .

So before I choose a tank, I guess what I would like to know is, how far will a GGE get me? I live outside of Tulsa and have a filling station in the small town I live in, then have a few scattered around tulsa, so finding it shouldn't be a problem. I also drive to and from Houston every few months to visit family, this would be the only time I would have to plan my trip, and I'm not a huge fan of stopping. Bed space isn't the hugest issue, as long as I could get a decent capacity but last me a good haul on with a single tank against the cab...I'd be happy.

Any feedback would be great. I look forward to getting started....just need a push in the right direction.

Thanks
BR

Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
cumminsman123
Rookie

Is it the cummins

Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
bigred8080
Amateur

Uuhhh yeah

Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like he is wanting to run CNG like propane injection for mileage...

Can't help ya there as I have no experience with either...

I do know that you want to run low amounts as running propane or CNG has a lower cetane rating and too much will cause detonation (nasty ping) inside the cylinders and you DON'T want that. In small amounts it is quite safe and can gain you a decent economy improvement IF CNG is cheap enough to use as a supplement fuel.

If it costs as much as diesel per gal and you are using a lot of it though it might not save you any money, and you need to take costs of getting into a CNG system into account and how long it's going to take before you even see any money savings after the system pays for itself IF it even pays for itself...

Old 07-14-2014, 11:05 PM
bigred8080
Amateur
Old 07-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

suppose CNG is a bit cheaper than propane.

looks like it is about $2.15/gal here for CNG.. propane is nearly as high as diesel and diesel is at $3.99/gal

that guy is claiming 40% CNG/diesel ratio...

which means at current prices he maybe saves $0.15/gal on fuel running it.

Last edited by Jigabop; 07-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CNG help/suggestions