Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dually Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:52 PM
LordLuciendar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dually Tires

So I finally bought a Cummins, a 1996 Ram 3500 CTD (4WD, Quad Cab). It's a fantastic truck in great condition, but one thing that I do need is tires.

It's got 265/75R16s on it now, with what I believe is a 2" spacer in the back. It does not have a 2" leveling kit in the front. The big factor that's got me worried at the moment is that I intend to plow with it this winter (9' plow), at least my driveways and road (maybe 1/2mi total).

My thought was to keep the spacer in, but drop to the original factory 215/85R16's with studs. That gives lots of space between the rear wheels to let them push snow out of the way and punch down to the surface. Then next spring I'll buy another set of wheels (dually steelies aren't that hard to find on Craigslist) and throw some 285/75R16s on them for the summer.

Treadwright seems to have 235/85R16s as the narrowest Mud Terrain tire (Crawler M/T). I could stud them and run them as my winter tire if they are narrow enough, or maybe they are a good compromise to not stud and just run them year round. That would also save me $1200-1400 for a second set of tires and wheels.

What are people's thoughts?

Quick Reply: Dually Tires