Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

question about gear ratio!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:01 PM
xringarchery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about gear ratio!

i'm looking at buying a 2005 ram 2500 diesel.
the gearing in the rear is 4.10 and i really was considering the 3.73
i was wondering if anyone had the same truck in the 4.10 and the 3.73 and if there was any consideration i should give reguarding gas mileage.
i have heard people say the 4.10 is more economical because it spends more time in its power range, however i find it hard to believe that you would get better mileage out of 4.10's, then 3.73's.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
mark

Old 10-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Glenns 02
Default RE: question about gear ratio!

I had the 355's in the dana 80 on both of my dodge pu's and like it for towing a trailer -i tried the 411's and thought it was just too low for towing long distances--i can even use the 6th gear while towing the 12k trailer except on steep hills--The 373's in my chevy diesels woeked ok also--Hope this helps--Glenn

Old 10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
bigmike
Professional
Default RE: question about gear ratio!

i have a 2004.5 with 4.10's(NV5600) and i am happy. if you do not plan to tow very heavy trailers, you might like the higher gears. as for mileage, i am getting 16-16.5. i know Drew is getting a lot better than that and he has the same ratio and tranny as i do. you did not mention if you are going manual or auto. go drive one with the various tranny/gearing you are considering and weigh your potential uses. no matter what, though, you can't go wrong. you really are going to have enough b#lls to tow anything you will ever want, regardless of gear ratio. it really boils down to your personal opinion.

Quick Reply: question about gear ratio!