Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

04 3500 Turbo Diesel over heat

Old 10-24-2015, 03:54 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Korrin
I have had the same problem. 70K miles and no problems. The truck over heats and fills the reservoir. when its cold I can remove the Rad. cap and get a rush of air. Have had the heater core replaced, water pump thermostat radiator and the coolant (Pink Factory). Its out of warrantee and I have a little over $1000 in it now. Dealership does not know what the problem is nor does Dodge(RAM). Problem is worse when I am hauling tractors or Camper.

Love the truck and the cummings but I can now see why people don't want to buy Ram. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
You might be in love with CUMMINS and a Ram hater but symptoms tell me it's either blown head gasket or cracked head on that ISB6.7. 2011 and 2012 Cummins are known for it and especially in tuned engines.

The good news is that would be covered by the powertrain warranty (unless you tuned it). Seems the dealer would have checked for something that simple to diagnose. Unless they were looking to throw parts at it and make some coin rather than doing a warranty repair and make next to nothing. What the hell am I talking about? Dealers would never do anything unscrupulous...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Korrin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks HammerZ71. I had thought of that also but have no anti freeze in the oil. I suppose I will have to do a compression check to see if its a cracked head. Any other suggestions?

Old 10-24-2015, 04:09 PM
Korrin

Oh by the way not a Ram hater, love the truck. The Dealership resists any help. Have had Fords and GMC and never the attitude that I am getting here.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If vacuum is blowing coolant back into the overflow you won't see much if any in the oil. Same as a gasser, standard leak down test will tell. Should have been done before throwing any parts at it unless the parts (heater core, radiator, etc.) showed sure signs of leak/failure...

Originally Posted by Korrin
Oh by the way not a Ram hater, love the truck. The Dealership resists any help. Have had Fords and GMC and never the attitude that I am getting here.
Sh!tty dealers are a manufacturers worst enemy. I had to hire a lawyer to threaten a Ford dealer who was dicking me around on what should have been a no brainer warranty repair. I won't ever own another Ford as a result of it.

Good luck...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-24-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:33 PM
Mithril
Amateur

Mine is fine now. I'm guessing it was a little low on coolant. I've drained and refilled with HOAT and I've not had a problem since. Well not with coolant. I just had to replace my alternator, but that's another thread.

Cheers
-Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 3500 Turbo Diesel over heat