Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:30 AM
ZR900
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which transmission?

I am just about to order a new Quad Cab. I will be trading in my '04, long box, 4 wheel drive, one ton. This truck has the auto in it and is getting miserable mileage (13.3) unloaded. My buddy's truck is identical except a short box and gets miserable mileage as well. I was running manual trannys previously and always got close to 20 mpg. My thought this time is to go back to the manual. I realize the engine has more torque but it shouldn't have hurt the mileage that much. I have traded every two years so the truck I was getting 20 mpg in was an '02 manual (6 speed manual).

The only reason I would go to the manual is mileage. I don't mind shifting but do find the shifter inconvienient when hunting out west. I carry firearms in the center, between driver and passenger and it gets in the way.

We both changed to synthetic after the first oil change. Is it possible this was/is the problem? I have heard many excuses. When we ordered the trucks they were delayed as Dodge was upping the torque and was having a problem with emissions. Maybe they screwed up the early '04's and hurt the mileage to meet emissions? I have 50K miles on this truck and it's the first Dodge Cummins that I don't like and it is soley the problem with mpg that makes me feel this way.

So....Whats the best, manual or auto?

Old 11-03-2005, 10:15 AM
donnie
Professional
Default RE: Which transmission?

The choice of tranny is a personal one.
I have an 05 2500 with an auto and have been getting around 18-20 with it and that is both hwy and city driving.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:18 PM
ZR900
Default RE: Which transmission?

My dealer just told me this afternoon that the 6 speed manual is far superior in gas mileage at least on the '04's

Quick Reply: Which transmission?