Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First code on my new 2500

Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Greasy24
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First code on my new 2500

My first temporary problem. So i was driving around in my new truck this weekend, it had just rained and i was sliding around a few corners messing around and a message popped up on my dash. The Abs message and a deactivation of my 4 wheel drive. So after it came up it stayed on untill about 30 mins later qhen i finally got to my destination and turned my truck off pulled the key and then started my truck again. Its been off ever since with no problems. I plugged my master code reader in and checked everything and it was clean. Do you think it was anything to worry about or was it a fluke from moisture or water.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I wouldn't sweat it if it doesn't pop up again.

I actually bought a small spiral notebook not long after I bought mine to log EVERYTHING. So far I've only needed to log fluid changes. Thank God not a single CEL yet. I keep that and a $20 code reader in my glovebox.

By logging, you cover you self regarding warranty issues PLUS you can go over it with service manager the next time you're in for routine maintenance. Might be an update or TSB that pertains and they can take care of it then...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-08-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

Thats a good call, i figure i keep all my pictures i take anyway i can keep a photo log of it and like you said.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

I crawled under my truck today to kinda check the electronics out and Abs sensors and noticed Oil!!! Looks like its seeping front the front of the oil pan seal, damn is all i can say!

Old 09-08-2015, 06:30 PM
clipper77
Veteran

When you change the filter, do you pull it from the wheel well?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Greasy24
Veteran

I haven't changed the oil yet, just sitting a little over 5,500 miles on it. Im fixing to crawl under my truck and spray degreaser and clean it off. Then ill check it daily to see if its still leaking. What is the plastic catch like plate under the oil pan for anyway, the oil catch for the oil filter.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:36 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Clean it and see if it comes back or where it's coming from. Odds are it's just assembly lube...

Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM
clipper77
Veteran

Ya the plastic tray is supposed to funnel the used oil into a catch can if you pull the filter from the wheel well. Stupid design- makes too much of a mess for me.

I pull the intake duct work and remove the filter from the top, no mess.

I wanted to say that it could have been assembly lube initially, but that does look like used oil on the stabilizer.

Make sure your filter is on tight and there aren't any leaks from the o-ring to the cooler.

Also, make sure the auxiliary plug on top of the oil cooler housing is tight and not leaking.

Other than that, my guess is pan gasket or something from the timing cover area.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I know this is a fairly common thread across all five diesel truck forums I keep up with. Not just Ram but GM and Ford as well and 99% of the time it's assembly lube. Even seen post from a diesel mechanic swore it was an oil leak until he got it on a lift.

I think I can remember one 2013 Ram owner where it was the timing cover and actually ended up being a buy back truck because of it. Only leak I've seen you could even stretch to call "common" would be the pinion seal, which this is obviously not...

Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM
clipper77
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I know this is a fairly common thread across all five diesel truck forums I keep up with. Not just Ram but GM and Ford as well and 99% of the time it's assembly lube. Even seen post from a diesel mechanic swore it was an oil leak until he got it on a lift.

I think I can remember one 2013 Ram owner where it was the timing cover and actually ended up being a buy back truck because of it. Only leak I've seen you could even stretch to call "common" would be the pinion seal, which this is obviously not...
Oh I have read all about assembly lube and such and agree with you, but the leak on the stabilizer looks alot like sooty used 6.7 oil.

Just an observation.

Really hope it is, in fact, assembly lube.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First code on my new 2500