Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bought a 2013 Diesel, what needs to be done to make it great?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Dvoeltz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 2013 Diesel, what needs to be done to make it great?

I bought this on an impulse so my rear passengers would have more room verses the 2001 extended cab diesel that I had. I luckily didn't have the '53' block on the 2001and the VP44 was replaced just before I bought it. I put an Airdog on it and always had good fuel pressure. Got around 20 MPG with it on the highway at 65 MPH

Are there things I should do to the 2013 to make it more reliable? Are the lift pumps better now? If it goes bad, will it ruin the injector pump? Or is there other known issues that can be done to make it more bullet proof? I've been reading through the forums here for 4 hours here and haven't had much luck determining what I should be watching out for in this truck? Also, I'm getting about 17 MPG at 65 MPH. it has 14,000 miles, will mileage improve with age?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mileage seems a bit low for a DEF truck but not terrible. I'm averaging 19.3 overall since I bought it new last August, about 11,000 miles. If I set cruise at 70 on the flat interstate, I can hit 24 mpg or be darn close to it. Most report seeing optimal fuel economy kick in after about 20-25k miles.

No real common problems on the 13+ CTDs aside from emissions crap that plague all newer diesels. I'd suggest carrying a $20 code reader in the glove box to check and clear the nuisance emission CELs. I seem to be one of the lucky ones not to have gotten a single CEL in the first year.

Obviously, a full delete would end any nuisance emission issues. I've got a 10 year, 100,000 mile extended bumper to bumper so I'm probably not going to delete UNLESS I start having to run to the dealer with emission equipment issues. But if I didn't have warranty, I'd delete it yesterday.

Other than that a fluid drip here or there, TPMS sensor once in a while or the occasional premature ball joint failure but nothing real widespread. A lot of guys **** and moan about the 68rfe but I'm not seeing transmission failures at any more rate than Ford or GM diesel trucks...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-16-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Dvoeltz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Mileage seems a bit low for a DEF truck but not terrible. I'm averaging 19.3 overall since I bought it new last August, about 11,000 miles. If I set cruise at 70 on the flat interstate, I can hit 24 mpg or be darn close to it. Most report seeing optimal fuel economy kick in after about 20-25k miles.

No real common problems on the 13+ CTDs aside from emissions crap that plague all newer diesels. I'd suggest carrying a $20 code reader in the glove box to check and clear the nuisance emission CELs. I seem to be one of the lucky ones not to have gotten a single CEL in the first year.

Obviously, a full delete would end any nuisance emission issues. I've got a 10 year, 100,000 mile extended bumper to bumper so I'm probably not going to delete UNLESS I start having to run to the dealer with emission equipment issues. But if I didn't have warranty, I'd delete it yesterday.

Other than that a fluid drip here or there, TPMS sensor once in a while or the occasional premature ball joint failure but nothing real widespread. A lot of guys **** and moan about the 68rfe but I'm not seeing transmission failures at any more rate than Ford or GM diesel trucks...

I failed to mention that I am towing about a 1,500 high profile piece of equipment on a trailer behind the pickup when I quoted this mileage. Just slightly less than I was getting with my 2001 5.9. For the comfort and quiet ride, I'd gladly give up the 1 MPG. But I expect it will improve as I get more miles on her.

Dave

Old 10-18-2015, 11:17 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delete all the emissions. Whoever thought EGR's were a good idea was a smart man for the EPA but kills your engine. Put a H&S Mini Maxx on it and sure will wake the beast up.

Depends kinda what you mean by great too. Turbo, intake, injectors, all that stuff can make it great. Depends what youre looking for here. Good Luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a 2013 Diesel, what needs to be done to make it great?