Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help whether PCM is fried or not...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:08 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help whether PCM is fried or not...

98.5 24v:
Well I replaced my white center plug witha gas one. I removed all unnecessary wires and used what the old plug did. Soldered all new wires to existing harness and well my problem persists.

My truck still leaves a dead stop in 2nd or 3rd gear. Has brand new valve body since trans shop that was issue. Found if I tinkered with wires on plug it would sometimes work. Well has new wiring from plug and still messed up. This is my only problem with trans. Every other gear shifts smooth and at good RPM.

There is a way to get it to work. If I start the truck and while the abs, brake, CEL, and the other lights that come on during start up, if i put the truck in drive before all those lights shut off it will go into first gear. I'm not sure what it means its obviously electrical. Also when I do this the truck will have a 'lope' to its idle for a few seconds. Obviously its not good to put in drive like that right away but it will go into first gear after I do that.

Also, when I do get it to shift down correctly, if i sit at a stop light for a period of time you will feel it upshift while you sit there into second gear.

Another thing that I've noticed happen since all of this has started is my cruise control light does not illuminate on the dash when I push the button the wheel. The cruise will still work kind of a guessing game to use without a light and sometimes it doesnt always work when you push the on/off button for the cruise. takes mulitple times sometimes. I assume the pcm controls the cruise. Didn't see anything on the middle pcm plug for cruise wiring but I didn't look at other plugs since my GP issue was caused by the middle plug.

My question is what else can I do rule out a bad PCM because as of right now that's my conclusion. And any insight on whether this is a good conclusion would be awesome because a new PCM is not cheap.

Thanks in advance. I'm extremely frustrated at this point right now. Seems like I'm the only one who's ever had this problem persist with the parts I have fixed and replaced.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:23 PM
p38251
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed sensors. Codes?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:19 PM
CopenghagenHemi22
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figured out my issue. Truck must have had a shift kit in it at on point and time. Because the GP sensor wire from PCM to trans had a voltage changer (best description I can think of do not know proper terminology) in the line and it musta just took a crap. I removed it from the line soldered the wire back together and issue was resolved just like that.

Quick Reply: Need help whether PCM is fried or not...