Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1992 VE pump wont idle or die

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:57 PM
bandit1trucking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 VE pump wont idle or die

I've got a friend that has a 1992 D350 Cummins with a VE pump and 5 speed. Truck was running fine, until one of the VE pump mounting studs broke. Evidently, other two nuts were loose, and allowed pump to move. It moved enough it broke the like from the pump to the manifold. They took pump off to get broken stud out of front cover, put it back together forgetting gasket. Took it apart again to install gasket, then re-installed pump. While hooking up throttle linkage, broke the arm on the pump that goes on throttle shaft. Got a new arm, and installed it on throttle shaft (not the complete assembly, just the short arm that attaches to throttle linkage itself. Looks identical to part that broke).

Now, this issue is... When you start truck, it starts instantly. BUT, it idles pretty high (no tachometer, but you can tell it idles a lot higher than it used to), he's got straight exhaust with a single stack and it smokes a lot at idle (whitish smoke). If you turn key off to kill it, it idles down to about what it used to idle at but doesn't die. You have to use the manual kill lever on side of pump to kill it.

They've tried rotating pump to adjust timing. Move it 1/8" toward motor at top and it won't start. Move it 1/8" away from motor and it idles even higher. I went and looked at it today, and we backed the idle stop screw off until the arm doesn't even contact it with no change.

I've got considerable experience with P7100 and VP44 trucks, but never messed with a VE pump before and am completely baffled...

He has messed with the pump some to get more power, but that was several months ago and it has ran fine till now. They did not change any adjustments or anything while working on it this time.

Quick Reply: 1992 VE pump wont idle or die