Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

security light on

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM
690297gws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default security light on

good afternoon and hopefully a great new years to everyone . I have a 2006 ram 2500 5.9 diesel with 75,000 miles . Three months ago I went to the bank , went in and when a came out the truck started but then died almost immediately and I noticed the little red security light blinking , long story short had it towed to the local dealership and they said for some reason the ignition switch lost the key codes , so they just reprogramed the switch and away you . now fast forward three months and I went out to start the truck and the same thing has happened ? now I have owned the truck for two years and not a single problem till this . in September I installed a bully dog mostly just to keep an eye on the egt temp when pulling my trailer . now my understanding is that the bully dog should have no effect on the key side of the ignition and that's according to the dealer I also have a remote start installed with no issues with that . now according to both the remote installer and the dealer the remote should have no effect on the ignition switch either , also the remote start was removed witch had no effect and the way the remote start is wired in it should be the same as using a key . so the bottom line is why should my ignition switch keep losing the key codes ? should I just replace the ignition switch witch is not cheap but neither is being stranded or a tow . any thoughts would be appreciated . thanks

Old 12-30-2016, 06:12 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

3 months ago, they should have replaced your SKIM module and you wouldn't be in this jam right now. The modules can go to sleep and be reset. They may go a week, they may go another 6 months until it happens again. The newer repladcements don't do this.

They may or may not be able to program your old key back to the new one. FYI, there is no such thing as "losing codes"

Old 12-30-2016, 06:30 PM
690297gws

ok , found my work order from the last service , it says code po513 incorrect immobilizer key . now I just talked to the service tech and he said that the ecu had lost the vin and when the vin was put back in it started right up , now he was not sure if last time when they reset the keys if that some how could have put the vin back in the cpu , he was going to call dodge and ask if that was possible . I don't know what a SKIM module is ?

Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 PM
690297gws

I have done some digging and now understand what a SKIM module . I will now back track a little and what I should have said was the SKIM module lost it's pin code so basically the dealer reprogramed the keys last time , I think this makes more since ?

Old 01-01-2017, 12:10 PM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Losing the VIN is not a good description of what it does. Nor, do they lose their code. They CAN lose communication and a scan tool CAN glitch when reading them at times. When these things lock up, sometimes all you have to do it pull a battery cable for a couple minutes and it will wake back up. I had one once sit and wait for 3 weeks for a backordered SKIM and it was still working when I drove it in to replace it.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:01 PM
cummins 6.7
Rookie

i have a 10 dodge ram 2500 cummins

my security light has been on in my dash for around 2 yrs now, it all started when my batteries died, and then found my hood latch sensor went out too. and my truck is remote start so that sensor going bad prevented my truck from remote starting, i ordered a new hood latch sensor and i will let u know if that fixes it

Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM
TNtech
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cummins 6.7
i have a 10 dodge ram 2500 cummins

my security light has been on in my dash for around 2 yrs now, it all started when my batteries died, and then found my hood latch sensor went out too. and my truck is remote start so that sensor going bad prevented my truck from remote starting, i ordered a new hood latch sensor and i will let u know if that fixes it

Software update to that cluster might make that light go out.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 PM
cummins 6.7
Rookie

mine was updated and reflashed and no fix

Old 02-20-2017, 08:33 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Check for bad relays. Had similar issues with mine when batteries went dead.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
cummins 6.7
Rookie

i replaced the hood latch with sensor and no fix

im lost now

dont know what else to do

skim has already been replaced and reprogrammed