Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I put 7 gallons of gas in 2011 Dodge 3500 diesel

Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Porche
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I put 7 gallons of gas in 2011 Dodge 3500 diesel

I screwed up and put 7 gallons of gas in my 2011 dodge 3500 diesel. I printed my receipt and went home. My truck stared running weird and then I noticed smoke coming out of the fuel tank. It smelled like gas so I grabbed my receipt to call the service station and saw that it said regular on it. My truck was low on fuel when I pumped this in it and I left my truck running while fueling. I drove about 5 to 10 miles and stared it twice because it stalled out. How bad is the damage and what can I do to repair.
Thanks

Last edited by Porche; 01-21-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:57 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best case - drain the tank and fill it with diesel and it runs fine.
Worst case - replace injection pump, injectors, etc.

When I was at Ford we had a guy whose job was cleaning diesel tanks. He would take the contaminated fuel home and filter it, then run it in his 6.7 powerstroke. Until that time his filters let him down.

Retail for his repairs was ridiculous. They cut him a deal and I believe his tab was about $10k.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 PM
GerryCDJR
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just like stated, I would drop tank drain out the fuel and put diesel in it and flush the lines, see if there's no damage. The repairs if there is serious damage can greatly go up depending on what's going to have to get replace \.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what he ended up doing? I don't have a diesel, anymore, mine was an 89 and it's long gone. If he was almost out of fuel, dropping the tank wouldn't be impossible, with only maybe 10 gallons to manhandle. I think it's mostly a case of reducing the concentration. If the engine, etc. aren't already damage, it probably won't hurt to burn that which is in the lines. Probably a new fuel filter would be in order, or at least drain the current one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I put 7 gallons of gas in 2011 Dodge 3500 diesel