Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

intermittent non starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:10 PM
conjesamy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent non starting issue

I have a 2004 ram 2500 diesel 5.9l intermittent non starting issue.
codes now;
0480, 0642, 0483, 0868, 0111. I can't find the 0642, 0868 on here.
Turns over all day long but won't start at times. Have replaced fuel pump, batteries, water pump, sensor in front of engine right side (name??), fuses checked and rechecked, wiring in front of oil filter, fan clutch, wiring to fan clutch from wiring harness from another 2004 (wiring was all ripped and cut when bottom of fan shroud came off and took wires with it), Alternator, fan belt, brakes and probably a few other things trying to figure this out and maintenance it needed. PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-06-2017, 01:22 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Rail pressure? Injectors?

Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM
conjesamy

Originally Posted by p38251
Rail pressure? Injectors?
I have not had the injectors tested, had it at dealer for third time and they let it sit for 6 days telling me it needed to not start before they could test them. Found out that wasn't case so picked it up. I haven't had the funds to have them fully checked yet, they took me for almost $1400 for things I didn't need.
It will turn over just fine and most of the time when it does it we can get it started by holding gas pedal down but there are times it just won't start and today is one of them again.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:29 AM
AJOSSY
Amateur

I am having similar issues with my 2006 2500 4x4 mega-cab.

Most of the time it cranks and starts just fine. But on occasion it cranks with no start. No codes, no CEL. This happened yesterday morning, I decided to let it crank to see how long it took to start. After about 45 seconds of cranking the engine finally caught. The odd thing was then I was not able to get any gears. The transmission would not go in. The clutch felt normal, but the gear shift felt like the clutch was not engaged.

I shut the truck down and restarted (started normally that time) and I was able to shift just fine.

One other symptom that may or may not be related there seems to be a new vibration at idle, that resonated with the drivers door windows and creates a very annoying buzz.

My truck only has 85,000 miles.

Anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

Thanks in Advance!

Quick Reply: intermittent non starting issue