Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Can An Upper ball Joint Cause a Rotational Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 PM
joeylead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can An Upper ball Joint Cause a Rotational Noise?

[SIZE="4"]Here is the situation, I have a 2003 2500 quad cab, 4WD. I recently bought it with 75,500 original miles. At that time, when i got it inspected the steering links were all replaced. Truck now only has 77k. It just developed a weird noise, it is a squeak, sounds like a bushing squeak, like the rubber rubbing against metal. Was under the truck and it seems like the noise is coming from the passenger side upper balljoint. (turning the steering wheel back and forth replicated the sound). When I drive at low speeds, the same sound appears immediately when the steering wheel is turned even the slightest bit. The wierd part is that when the truck is moving, it squeaks with the cadence of the tires rotating. That is what has me confused. I dont want to tear it all down, replace the balljoints only to find there is something else and have to do it all over again. Its not brake related as I replaced the pads tonight, good ting too as the drivers side caliper was missing the top caliper bolt. Nice right. The truck has a hemi, but i figure that since all diesels have a solid axle front that someone here may have has a similar issue. Thanks in advance for any help. [/SIZE]

Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

U joints

Old 07-16-2017, 07:14 PM
joeylead
Rookie

Yes, you were absolutely correct. I checked amd both balljoints had play in them. Replaced them, no more noise.