Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

My AC is pretty mediocre

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My AC is pretty mediocre

Hey guys, like my title says, my AC is pretty mediocre when it gets above 80 degrees outside.
The vent temps are 65-70 and it just does not cool the inside down very well at all. I have to keep the fan all the way up with it on Max AC just to keep from sweating.

Anything below 80 outside and it gets pretty cool in the truck. Very comfortable and it doesn’t have to be cranked all the way up.

I recently changed the heater heater core, evaporator core and the drier because the two cores were leaking. Then I charged the system with 32 ounces of refrigerant per the factory spec.

Anybody got any ideas on why it doesn’t perform very well?
The 95-100 degree days are coming and I really wanna get this fixed so I don’t have to sweat any time I’m in my pickup.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Think I would put gauges on it, and see what your pressures look like. It has all the hallmarks of being low on refrigerant.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:12 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would put gauges on it, and see what your pressures look like. It has all the hallmarks of being low on refrigerant.
I had gauges on it when I initially charged it after I made the repair, it read spot on for what the ambient temp was. Can’t recall the exact pressures now. Regardless, yesterday I added the little bit I had left in the last can and it definitely made a difference. I’m gonna pick up one more can and put a touch more in and see how that does.

Very strange

Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got a leak somewhere??

Old 05-15-2018, 05:31 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Got a leak somewhere??
Don’t think so. It’s been like this ever since I first charged it with the 32 ounces. That was just a couple weeks ago. Must’ve just needed a little more

Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Unless you had a large can, and a scale, likely it just didn't completely empty the source cans you used. Once pressure equalizes between can, and a/c system, the rest in the can is pretty much wasted.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Unless you had a large can, and a scale, likely it just didn't completely empty the source cans you used. Once pressure equalizes between can, and a/c system, the rest in the can is pretty much wasted.
Well I had a line blow off and I lost all my Freon. So while the system was empty again I replaced the line with the orifice tube in it just on the off chance it was clogged or something. Then I pulled a vacuum on the system again and refilled it with 3 full cans instead of two and a half.

The other day we had a cool front and it was about 85 outside and the truck got COLD on the inside. It was freezing me out. But then today it was 98 and on my 30 minute drive home from work the truck didn’t cool down anywhere near as much. I had to keep it on full blast and it was barely enough to keep me cool.

I know now there are no leaks in the system. It held vacuum for over an hour.

Any other ideas?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check pressures. If those look good, verify temp (blend) door is working properly. Make sure there isn't a blockage on the evaporator core. (they suck in all sorts of odd things, the the evap core is the first thing they encounter after the fan......) Make sure the evap core isn't freezing up. (what's humidity like?)

Old 06-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Check pressures. If those look good, verify temp (blend) door is working properly. Make sure there isn't a blockage on the evaporator core. (they suck in all sorts of odd things, the the evap core is the first thing they encounter after the fan......) Make sure the evap core isn't freezing up. (what's humidity like?)
You got any idea what kinda pressures I’m supposed to be seeing when it’s 95-100 outside?
Ive been looking around online and I’m not finding anything concrete. Some say 250-270 others 290-330. Low side 35-40?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There should be a chart somewhere on the web that will correlate high side/low side pressures with ambient temp.

Here is a selection of them. Take your pick.

Quick Reply: My AC is pretty mediocre