Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Picked Up my New Cummins 2 days ago

Old 12-24-2005, 06:17 PM
mkinla
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked Up my New Cummins 2 days ago

I have to say I love this truck. It's an 06 quad cab, with four wheel drive, automatic trans and 4.10 gears.

Reading the manual it's pretty vague on break-in, are there any suggests? I've got less then 75 miles on it, and it's indicating that I'm 10 miles to gallon, is that normal in the beginning?

Thanks,

Mark

BTW I'd post a picture but I keep getting an error and it's under the size limit and it's a .jpg.....[:'(]

Old 12-26-2005, 04:59 PM
pluguglyinhere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Picked Up my New Cummins 2 days ago

Well I do not know how much I can help, but here is what I have. I just bought an 06 also except 3:73 gears. My first Dodge and Diesel. I was getting 10 mpg no matter how I drove, and some on other and this site swear that the more miles the bettermpg. I was also told that towing would help the break in. My manual stated not to tow unitl a certain mileage. I think it was 500, and then vary my speed. I know have abour 2500 miles and I am getting 12mpg no matter how I drive. This is with winter blend fuel which is supposed to drop mpg a number or two. I towed about 600 miles after the manual said I could dont know if that helped.

I ran into a Dodge guy from Dodge actually not a dealership. We were working coming back from a call about midnight (fire firefighter) and saw a fully loaded mega cab with tandem axle enclosed trailer behind it. They were both covered with Cummins and Megacab stuff. I made the gang wip into the station so I could ask some questions. He was going to car shows for promotions and was in the middle of filling up. It was a 06 and had about 15000 miles on it. The overhead read 19mpg, and thats pulling a trailer. The hand caculator read 18 mpg after he finished filling. He also said give it some time. So thats my two cents worth.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Picked Up my New Cummins 2 days ago

breaking it in you ask. . .drive it like you stole it, if your pulling something heavy drive it harder!!!

I'm just now able to break 18mpg consistantly and if I keep my foot out of it I can nudge 20.
(4x4, 6spd, 4.10)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Picked Up my New Cummins 2 days ago