Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie needs help! Please

Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Mannie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help! Please

I have a 2004 cummins diesel. About 50K miles on it. Today I was driving when all of a sudden the motor seemed to kick in and out. Jumping from 1300 rpm to zero and back on off on off. Then it died. Tried to start it......it would start but as soon as I tried to give a little gas it would die. Did this 2 times and then would not start again at all. I thought maybe there was water in the diesel so I drained it as per the owners manual. Still no go. On the back of a tow truck right now. Is this a fuel pump? If so should I buy a better after market part?????? CONFUSED! Any help/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mannie

Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 PM
dieselram
Captain
Default RE: Newbie needs help! Please

That sounds like a fuel problem. Does your truck idle a lot? Do you go a long time between fuel ups? If the gas gelled or the injectors clogged, that could be the problem. hopefully one of the Dodge mechanics on here will respond quickly, but from what litte I know, it sounds like the filter or injectors (filter better than injectors).
good luck

Old 01-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Mannie

Thanks for the feedback. Come to think of it I do not remember the fuel filter being replaced ever. 80K km on this truck. Everytime I have taken it in for service they never did the fuel filter.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a good time to go someplacee else, or start doing it yourself

fuel filters can be had for as little as $10 and takes all of 5 min to replace., . .if you take your time.

Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Irish4u1978
Professional

My brothers 01 did that, but it was the fuel pump. Had to replace the lift pump(went with faas pump) and injector pump.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:02 AM
DIEZEL24V

I had something like this happen to our 96 Gmc 2500 suburban diesel a few years back. The dealer also started with the fuel pump and filter after they drained the diesel out of the tank. It was not the problem then , they found out it is was the diesel modulating valve what went bad. The diesel modulating valve is a small circuit-board with some electronic hardware on it, cost price for the GMC at the time $ 700.00 , labor $ 200 or so plus tax... hope you don't have to go that far with expenses...

Good Luck...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie needs help! Please