Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newb to Diesel engines question about FI

Old 03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
joe0121
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb to Diesel engines question about FI

How much boost is it safe to run in a Diesel engine. Also it seem to me that no one uses a twin turbo set up even though to me it seems ideal low spooling ETC and I've never heard of a supercharged Deisel. Also when you turbo do you need the change enternals at all?

Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 PM
bekim
Professional
Default RE: Newb to Diesel engines question about FI

ORIGINAL: joe0121

How much boost is it safe to run in a Diesel engine. Also it seem to me that no one uses a twin turbo set up even though to me it seems ideal low spooling ETC and I've never heard of a supercharged Deisel. Also when you turbo do you need the change enternals at all?
It's more about exhaust gas temperatures staying in a safe range than too much boost. Many Cummins Turbo Diesel (CTD) owners are running twin turbo setups. The turbo issue is unique to each persons usage. Whether sled pulling (bigger unit slower spool up) or drags (maybe twins for quick spool up) or just towing a fifth wheel (stock).
Cheers
Mike
###

Old 03-12-2006, 10:34 PM
joe0121
Professional

How does one keep exhaust temp down? How about nitro? sorry to be annoying but I have a crazy idea in my head and im doind R&D on it. I've heard about this chip they have that adds 100HP and the such. 500hp and 750+ tq isnt anything to sneeze at.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
bekim
Professional

It's not unusual for people to have numbers like 500Hp and 800 torque on CTD's. Since fuel controls power on diesels, it's all about how much you pour in at once. Injectors and boost levels.
Mike
###

Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having a blower on a diesel is not anything new, the DD 8v92, 6v53 are just to name a few. infact I have seen a blown Cummins 5.9, pretty wild but the numbers just we not as great as compared to a twins setup. twins are great for what they do, but they can be a problem to tune in right since the fueling has to be there to light the second turbo, and when it lights you better hold on

anyway, the stock HY-35 can hit 45lbs of boost, but it will not last long at those numbers, this is where you will need to upgrade to a larger turbo. This also works in with higher EGT's. once the EGT's start hitting 13-1400F it is time to think about upgradeing. Oh, BTW, giggle gas will only increase EGT's.

the stock head gasket can support about 60 pounds of boost, after this it would be a good idea to have it replaced and have the head studded to support more boost. at about 75 pounds o-ringing the block adn head is advisable as well as fire-ringing the head. but by the time you hit 75 pounds your looking at close to 750-800 hp.

with a TST box one can achieve well over 200 extra HP and be pushing 1000 ft-lb. but if you are still running stock turbo, clutch/torque converter and auto tranny they will not last long. generaly 3/3 is max for a stock setup where at 10/10 is for those with lots of mods.

if you want to talk monster numbers, a guy I know Jeff Garmin has a dragster powered by a 5.9 that pushes 1055hp at the rear wheels

Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM
joe0121
Professional

1055 in a diesel thats knock futs!

How much power can I expect to run through the manual (six speed?) I want a sleeper at the strip on saturday nights. What kind of power do you think i'll need to run low tens? or is that realistic.

Also I had a thought they have these turbos that mount to the back of the car and run the charge up front would that help the EGT problem the turbo being outside the engine compartment and all?

Old 03-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Possum1
Rookie

first drew hit it close but by most standereds i have read and seen is on the raged edge the factory turbo hy/hx35 is only relible up to 35lb above that your taken life out of it but hes right it can hit 45 another at 45lb thats the point (to be safe and relible) that the head studs need done then 60 psi is o ringin the head these are the safe #s supported by what bd and ats says both of witch have twin set ups and both can make rediculase power

but drew the setting on a tst it depends on the box you have and the controler as well some controlers only have single digit up and down for added power and some have the separte horsey and torqe and as far as i have seen and all ive had my hands on 9 or 9/9 is top powr level but man it is a beast on 9 [sm=crossbonesgif.gif] i have the powermax 3 that has just been reporgramed into the powermaxrace (race you have to sign a wavier cause it want pass emisions) and haven tried it yet but cant wait.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:13 AM
joe0121
Professional

How much money are we talking to upgrade the clutch/tranny to add the extra power?

Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Possum1
Rookie

well if you have a 6 spd im assuming you do a southbend clutch kit your looken at 750 to a grand if 5 speed add about 400 to it for new flywheel and such that should hold what ever you throw at it (there is some clutch kits on ebay out of texas claimen they can hold up to 550 horse for 500 bucks or less but havent meat or heard of anyone runnin them still wondering if there as good as they say?)

Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 AM
Possum1
Rookie

as well here if its an automatic depending on power level your atemping to reach anywhere from 1500 to 4and 5 grand for a total ats tranny and convertor that shold hold 650hp and 1300 lbs so mild to wild just depend on how deep your pockets are but back to the manuls i wouldnt suggest putting a clutch in that is rated for more than about 50 to 75 horse more than you have cause it will get grabby and might give u u-joint or driveshaft problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newb to Diesel engines question about FI