Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Biodiesel and performance chips

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 PM
KenZ
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biodiesel and performance chips

Question---What is the scoop on using biodiesel in my 2005 CTD? Two dealers I talked to both stated not to. The service manager at the dealer I purchased my truck from said that officially I am not to use biodiesel at all. But said that if I used it, to change fuel filters regularly and to always use a additive for added lubricity. He said that he heard of problems with the injectors clogging up ('06) with biodiesel and could be no warranty coverage if biodiesel is present. Is this true, or am I getting smoke up the but? I got the same response from the Ford dealer when I had my powerstoke. The government wants us to use Biodiesel and the big three don't. Whats the deal? Sounds political to me. I have B20 available and would like to use it.

Also, what kind of warranty issues would I be in if I installed one of the performance chips? I am looking at the ones that have all the monitoring features like EGT, boost, etc.
from Edge or banks. I don't know if I would use the added power settings, but I like the idea of the readings on the PDA.

Thanks
KenZ

2005 QC dually CTD 6-speed 5000 miles

Old 08-28-2006, 11:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts
Default RE: Biodiesel and performance chips

I heard that you can run up to B5 (says so in the owners manual) w/o any issues. long time users claim it's got better lubricating properites than std diesel and swear by it. i have not used it so I cant comment much more than that.

I can say however that my EDGE rocks! I love it! And if your looking for one used, my neighbor has 2 of them for sale (unless they are sold already), 1 was a re-conditioned unit from edge and the other was used. PM me if your interested in his contact info. it'll save you some bux for sure. being an edge owner... you will use the power for sure. I normally have mine on the mileage setting for obvious reasons but when the occasion calls for it, I'll bump the power for sure. [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Biodiesel and performance chips

Your service manager should read the owners manual or go to the Cummins web site. You can use up to B5 (5% bio) as long as it meets the standards set forth. I ran B20 all the time in my '04 Ford and the only thing I didn't have problems with was the fuel system. I ran a tank of B20 in my current truck and it ran great (best single tank mileage yet in 5000 miles). Bio actually has better lube properties. Part of the reason the big three limit the amount is that a lot of people make their own, and there is no way to verify the quality. I don't I buy it at a reputable dealer, and I wouldn't use someone elses "brew".

Chips are a gamble in more then one way. If you only want it for the guages, get a set of good gauges and save a bunch of money.

Quick Reply: Biodiesel and performance chips