Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Electical Problem - Maybe

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Joe Hamby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electical Problem - Maybe

I have a '00 Ram 2500. Great truck except for one problem that is driving me CRAZY!! I have had it since 2002 and since 2003 I have had a problem that I can't get resolved. Here it is...

It has an auto transmission. When I am traveling between 45 - 52 mph at a steady speed and in OD, it shifts in and out of overdrive repeatedly until I accelerate through the problem. I have taken it to our Dodge dealership at least 6 times and they have not been able to come up with anything. No error codes are showing up, even when the problem happens. They referred me to a transmission shop. The transmission shop went through the transmission and they don't think the transmission is the problem. They think that it is electrical interference. Had a new altenator installed. Problem still there. Talked to Dodge again and they told me to thoroughly clean all battery connections and post. I done that and problem went away for 6 months or so. It came back last week. Cleaned posts again and problem still here.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 AM
DIEZEL24V
Default RE: Electical Problem - Maybe

Sounds like one of the speed governor sensors is maybe defective or does not get enough voltage / amps.
your tranny shop should be able to tell you.?

Just a hint;

Can you hook-up a voltmeter to the alternator connections , keep the meter in your cab and monitor if maybe your alternator does not supply enough current ?

I had a problem once with my electrical after I had a new alternator installed, accidently they gave me the alternator 90A in stead of the 135 Amp version for my 1997 dodge.

Good luck

Mike

Old 06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Joe Hamby

Thanks Mike,

They have replaced sensors with no luck. I'll try a voltometer. That might give some good information.

Thanks for the help!!

Joe

Old 06-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you have a stuck check valve in the tranny.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:05 PM
LunchMoney

Joe - I am having the exact same issue on my '00 2500 w/ 5.9L CDT and it's driving me nuts also.

Right about the same MPH range, acts like it's clutching up and about to downshift but just goes right back into OD. Sometimes will happen continually, 5-6 times in a row.

I don't know if you have experienced this, but it also happens to me at about 34-36 MPH also, but to a much lesser extent.

So far I have:

1 - Replaced the throttle position sensor. This "fixed" the problem for at least a year, but the problem came back a couple of months ago.

2 - Replaced the replacement throttle position sensor. Why not? It fixed it the first time. This time, no dice.

3 - Replaced the alternator and re-"flashed" the computer. This is what the service dept. at a local Dodge place suggested. No dice.

4 - Cleaned all the battery connections and so forth, no dice.

I would be pleased as punch if anyone on here has encountered and fixed this issue for good. I still have about 10,000 miles left on my extended warranty and would like to get stuff done under the warranty.

I did a search of the diesel forum for common threads on this problem and found these (not a happy ending in any of them so far):

https://dodgeforum.com/m_453910/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_446744/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_383714/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_340694/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_255889/tm.htm

Old 06-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been doing some readong up and it seems this problem is from excessive noise from the altenator or other electrical components.

cleaning the battery terminals, battery grounds on the fenders, hooking up a filter on the battery grounds, to even replaceing the wireing harness from the apps to the computer seem to be what resolves the issue.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
DIEZEL24V

If its from any inducton caused by the alternator, you can try to pick up a capacitor from radio shaq or something what could clean the induction. Simply install it between the positive from battery directly to ground. You would have play around with the correct uF ratings though. Its worth a shot... they are fairly cheap...

It still is strange though [:@]

Good Luck

Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Joe Hamby

Thanks for all of the information.

I was also told that it was a noise/interference issue. I was messing with it last Thursday and found some corrosion on a couple of connections and discovered that I had 2 battery clamps that were not as tight as they should be. I cleaned connections and re-tightened clamps and have not been able to make it act up since then. The system seems to be very sensitive. Next time it does it (I'm sure it will again) I will check in to a capacitator/noise filter.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

Joe

Quick Reply: Electical Problem - Maybe