Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

the up comeing 6.7L Cummins *updated*

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the up comeing 6.7L Cummins *updated*

this is a copy/paste from another site, I just though it would be good to put it over here as well.

A PEAK AT THE NEW CUMMINS 6.7 TURBODIESEL
Dodge is ready to take top spot in the turbodiesel displacement wars. Assuming the rumors are true, Ford will have the 6.4 litre Powerstroke,and GM will stick with the 6.6 litre Duramax for the 2007 model year. That means the next Cummins will have the largest displacement available in a consumer diesel truck. The added displacement will not be used to boost performance but will help the engine run cleaner, quiter and get better fuel mileage. Here are the changes to the Cummins that will debut in the 2007 3500 HD chassis cab trucks.

THE ENGINE
The new 6.7 litre Cummins , just 40% of engine part numbers are carryover but diesel mechanincs will be comfrotable with the familuar arcitecture. The cylinder head is basically the same as the 5.9 litre, but with modified swerl chambers. The angel slit rods will be the same as before, the compression ratio is raised to 17.3:1 and the low tech flat tappet cam drivesystem does not change. Now lets look at what will be differant.

The bore is increased to 107mm and the stroke grows to 124mm while the larger oil galley cooled pistons will be used to fill the space. Better bearings with increased load potential will help pump up the volume and increase durability.

There will not be an intake throttle used to control air management. A 3.0 generation bosch system (26,000) will replace the current 1.3 generation equipment. The new injection equipment is capable of up to 5 injection (2 more) events during the power stroke. The Cm 2100 fuel management system has 2 times the processor speed of the old unit, the engine computer now has 40% more flash memory.

Thanks to the improved computer keeping watch over the Cummins, the service interval for all types of driving will be extended to 7,500 miles before the oil needs to be changed. There is also a 15,000 mile interval for the fuel filter. The coalescing blowback valve, (crankcase ventalation) equipment will not be required for service until 70,000 miles.

THE TURBO
The new Holset VCT (variable geometry turbo) will provide 24.5 LBS of boost for the new Cummins. It is a water cooled nit that will automitically adjust the swallowing capacity of the exhaust side of the turbo. This should improve performance at all engine speeds while allowing the control needed to improve fuel mileage. This new turbo setup can also work as an engine brake and provide up to 235 lbs of stopping power, compaired to about 180 lbs in most aftermarket exhaust brakes. To extend the life of the Holset. the truck computer will have an idle shut down feature with a timer to keep the truck running until tempatures inside the turbo reach safe levels.

EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT
Dodge says the new engine will produce about 90% better emissions than the 5.9 CUmmins. This is no small task and involves a number of componetes.
In addition to the coalescing blowback valve system, the water cooled EGR will route some sent gases back to the intake manifold not the turbo inlet) to be burneda second time by the engine to reduce NOX emissions.

Spent gases that are allowed to escape the engine will go through the turbo then hit an oxidation catalyst. After that it will travel through a particulate filter by Tenneco. This devise will communicate with the Cummins engine monitor,which will use an extra fuel injection events to heat the exhaust system, within a certain safe range to AFTERTREAT the trapped particals. Dodge decided on this self efficient system instead of urea injection, which requires additional equipment and service. Enviromentalist willalso be happy to know the new Cummins will be capable of using B20 (Biodiesel), which is made of 20% biomass based materials.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
CaptKidd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the up comeing 6.7L Cummins

SO***** this brings up the question, buy a mega cab 3500 now or wait for the new engine to offered in it. It seems like the best idea would be to wait.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 AM
ed

I'm still hearing rumors of a 1500 diesel. I would be interested.

dukester

Old 08-02-2006, 08:55 AM
ed

dukester

Old 08-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Drew
Professional

well. . .it would be better to go ahead and get one, that way you wont have to worry about all the '07 power robbing emissions crap that will on the engine. plus the particulate trap has to be replaced like a regular filter, mo' money out of your pocket.

also on the 1500 diesel. it is still just a rumor, nothing set in stone, Cummins has signed an agreement for high performance diesels with an auto manufacturer that does sell auto's in the states. who it is no one knows, but the rumor is going between Nissan, Dodge, Toyota, and Ford.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Flent
Rookie

so what is the power rating on the new motor then????

Old 08-20-2006, 06:01 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

I don't think you'll see it. By the time you beef up everything, you'll have a 3/4 ton.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 AM
Drew
Professional

flent, rumor has it right now the power rateing of the 6.7l is 305hp 610tq. however I can see that number go way up.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

I was told A YEAR AGO already by a Cummins Engineer to watch for a Cummins Engine making over 700 ft. lbs.
So, I think this has to be it.......

the service interval for all types of driving will be extended to 7,500 miles before the oil needs to be changed
I will have to check, but I think they have been that way since the 600 series in '04.5

I don't see it happening. The market volume wouldn't be there enough to satasfy DCX.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:37 PM
KenZ
Veteran

For what its worth, here is a small article from DIESEL POWER magazine.

" You like the 5.9L Cummins turbodiesel? Sorry, but the folks at Dodge have dropped it like it's hot. But they're bringing the all-new 6.7L Cummins to the Mega Cab and 3/4 and 1-ton pickups. The 5.9L will remain available until December, with the 6.7L coming in January. It wil feature 350hp at 3.013rpm and 650lb-ft of torque at 1.500rpm, and it can be optioned with the new six-speed Aisin automatic transmission."

True or not, this is straight out of the mag. I don't know if this auto trans is something new, or a mispelled Allison, as I typed it just as it was spelled in the mag. If it did come with an allison this would make it the most bulletproof combo out there!

KenZ.

Quick Reply: the up comeing 6.7L Cummins *updated*