Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

monitor,programmer,chip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:54 AM
RustProofCorn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default monitor,programmer,chip?

um i guess i am confused about what the difference of a monitor programmer and chip is i thought they were all the same but i am guessing not now i read some of these forums a bit closer... if you have a chip do you still need a monitor and if you have a edge chip do you have to have a edge monitor or can you mis match them if i get the xzillaraider can i get any monitor just some explaination would be nice what is the difference???

Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 AM
BlkRam69
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: monitor,programmer,chip?

Well the "chip" is usually installed between the ECM and other aspects of the motor (map sensor, fuel sensor, etc.) This intercepts and "adjusts" the signals from the ecm and then passes them on to the motor to produce the additional power etc.

A programmer/downloader stores a copy of your trucks current ECM program and then re-flashes its own in its place. This is done through the OBDII port under the dash (usually under the steering column)

Regardless of the maker a monitor is just that, a monitor. Now combined with a chip or a programmer the monitor can change the settings "on the fly" as well as turn the power down/off automatically if the say the engine temp, EGT temp, gets too high or tranny slips etc. All monitors are not created equal. Some have dif. abilities / options. I dont personally have one but from what I have read (here and looking at them myself) the Edge seems to have one of the best set of cool options.

As far as the Quadzilla monitor goes...... They boast that when it is released it will have the ability to control (adjust power settings on the fly) most of the chips and programmers on the market currently as well as having the largest display.

Now the monitor (any brand) can be used without any chip or programmer / downloader as a set of stand alone gauges which makes these a really nice extra when purchasing whichever product you choose for extra HP etc. Even though they can add a couple (or more) hundred $$ to the tab it more than pays for itself with the multiple gauge options as well as "on the fly" control. Analog gauges can be a little pricey but when your adding extra HP the gauges in my opinion are something you want to have.

Thats the way I have come to understand them anyways.

Quick Reply: monitor,programmer,chip?