Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gen 1 cummins problem w/ overdrive

Old 09-11-2006, 05:19 AM
Ryathis
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 1 cummins problem w/ overdrive

Well was drivin the truck i just bought home, 1992 d250 Cummins, all of a sudden it dropped outta overdrive the speedo startin bouncin around and the volt gauge went to the first line past 8. Any ideas? Bad ground is my thoughts. Just figured id run it by the experts here bc im new to diesels. Also, the check engine light would flicker on occasion but never stayed on. It wasnt flashing like it was reading out a code just flickering. Sometimes it would shift back into overdrive then drop right back out. Im perplexed, ill check for loose connections tomorrow. Transmission fluid looks excellent and it shifted very well other than the OD problem. o yah and the truck has 157,000 miles.

Thanks in advance guys.

My dakota and its new stable mate, the diesel

[IMG]local://upfiles/33038/AE88AE9EACC145EE8243560B88D705DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2006, 11:18 AM
hiredgun
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gen 1 cummins problem w/ overdrive

Check the wires that run to the speed sensor . I have a 91 and I replaced the sensor and it quit for a day or so . But it ended up being the wire . it had a bare spot right where the shifter rod comes down for the auto tranny....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gen 1 cummins problem w/ overdrive