Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

joining the Cummins Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
countrydoctor
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default joining the Cummins Club

I am looking to get my first Cummins diesel ram 2500. I was hoping to get some advice on which model years are better, and what price range is fair. I have found a 1996 2500 Laramie SLT 4X4 5.9L Cummins with 8.5 ft V-plow, 4 spd auto trans rebuilt about 40,000 miles ago, and 127K miles on engine and truck. I think it's the long bed, but am not sure (have only seen photos). The seller wants $14,500, which seems a little high compared to comparable trucks I have seen listed elsewhere, and is higher than KBB and Edmunds estimates.

I want to use the truck for light plowing (not commercial) and for towing a 28-ft travel trailer, about 7500 lbs max trailer weight, but I want to also have the option to get a larger trailer, maybe a 5th wheel, in the future, so I am looking for 10K lb towing capacity.

What do y'all think?

Old 11-16-2006, 05:04 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: joining the Cummins Club

Welcome aboard Doc !!

Seems a bit rich for the truck your lookin at, but I dunno. I think you can find better.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:03 AM
countrydoctor
Rookie

Thanks. I think you are right. Most 96 2500 diesels I have seen have been going for around 9-10K, so even allowing $1500 for the plow and a reasonable profit for the dealer the asking price seemed a little high.

And from other posts I've been reading, it looks like 98 was when they made big increases in the torque you could get from the CTD engine, so maybe if I'm gonna spend 15K I should spend it on a truck from 99 or 2000 model year.

Time is on my side, gonna keep looking.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that 96 will last longer and run better than the 98.5-02's. the P7100 injector pump is the best injector pump for these engines.

14K does seem a bit high, but I'm pretty sure you could easily talk them down

Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 PM
countrydoctor
Rookie

that's interesting...i would have thought that with each passing year the CTD would get better and more reliable. Lasting longer and running better is exactly what I need, especially since I don't know the first thing about maintaining or fixing diesel engines.

But what about the torque difference between the 12-v and 24-v? Will I notice the difference with a 7000lb trailer?

Old 11-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 12 valve doesnt have the electronic gremlins the 24 valves do. the P7100 injector pump on the 94-98.4 years will last as long as the engine will, the VP44 on the 98.5-02 years will die quickly if starved for fuel.

will you notice a difference, not realy, but the 12v's just sound better under a load

Old 11-17-2006, 09:28 PM
countrydoctor
Rookie

Drew,

I am very grateful for all the solid advice and info I've been able to get here, mostly from you. I read your history of the injector pumps that you posted. That's the kind of detail that I've been looking to learn about, and you just can't find it anywhere else.

I have always believed that beginners need to start with the basic equipment, then earn the right through experience to move up to the higher end stuff. This has always served me well with backcountry skiing, mountainbiking, and women. No doubt it will serve me well with my adventure into the world of CTD.

Anyway, if the 12v sounds better, I am all for that. And it's not like the 12v is lean on torque. If you want to check out the 96 that I've been considering, you can see it at chipsautosalesandclassics.com

I've been working on a deal to trade my '68 Chevelle convertible (black with red interior/350 with edelbrock 4 barrel carb/TH400 with floor shifter/classic rally rims with OEM centercaps and rings and BF Goodrich fatties....I know it's not Mopar, or as we say in Maine, Mopah, but cut me some slack cuz a Chevelle is a Chevelle)...not only is he asking high for the truck, but he doesn't want to give me what I think the Chevelle is worth, so I don't have too much hope that this deal will work out. Anyway, the point is that the chevelle has taught me the value of avoiding electronic gremlins and all the other problems that come with technological "improvements" on a classic design. I had that 350 put in about 9 years ago, and have hardly had to touch it since except for the routine stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for all the solid advice.

Old 11-19-2006, 03:37 AM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: countrydoctor

I've been working on a deal to trade my '68 Chevelle convertible (black with red interior/350 with edelbrock 4 barrel carb/TH400 with floor shifter/classic rally rims with OEM centercaps and rings and BF Goodrich fatties....I
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 11-19-2006, 11:56 AM
countrydoctor
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: countrydoctor

I've been working on a deal to trade my '68 Chevelle convertible (black with red interior/350 with edelbrock 4 barrel carb/TH400 with floor shifter/classic rally rims with OEM centercaps and rings and BF Goodrich fatties....I
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

I have tried twice to post pictures of the Chevelle, but it says that the file is too big. Even one picture won't go through. I also tried compressing the file and it still wouldn't take.

Any suggestions?

Old 11-19-2006, 01:19 PM
jakebrake
Champion

run better than the 98.5-02's.
What, mine runs fine with no problems.[8D] Actaully It would be nice to be able to hang the p7100 on to the 24v and ditch all the electronic stuff.

Quick Reply: joining the Cummins Club