DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   92 B250 van ignition problem (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/124285-92-b250-van-ignition-problem.html)

alloro 09-17-2007 04:05 PM

RE: 92 B250 van ignition problem

I guess from step 2 one can figure that the center terminal is for the starter circuit; since step 4 uses the two outer terminals for the reverse circuit. With the key in the start position, you should get 12v between the center terminal and ground.

cowboy kid 09-17-2007 04:41 PM

There's no continuity at all. ether it's blown or stuck in gear (not the tranny the switch).

which is easer step 5 or just replacing it?
Also if the problem is the operating fingers will replacing it do any good?

alloro 09-17-2007 06:21 PM

I assume you mean you're not getting continuity on the switch and not the plug? Just checking! :)

You don't want to replace the switch until you've confirmed that it's no good. The easiest way is to set the parking brake and then connect your ohmmeter between the center switch terminal and ground. Now while you watch the meter for any movement have a helper shift through all the gears. If the meter jumps up in any gear other than park or neutral then you either have an internal tranny shifter mechanismissue or your linkage from the column shifter is out of adjustment. Do this same test by connecting the meter between the outer two switch terminals, except check to see if the meter jumps in any gear other than reverse. If the meter didn't move at all during either test replace the switch.

cowboy kid 09-17-2007 06:47 PM

Idisconnected theplug and tested it at the switch side of theplug.

When i testedit (as described)with my digitalmulti-meter it didn't register any continuity. I founda switchat an auto zone near by so when i get it replacedI willlet you know how it works.

cowboy kid 09-17-2007 09:37 PM

I've justmade aidiot of myself. Ilooked in the manual found out i was testing the crank position sensor https://dodgeforum.com/upfiles/smiley/oopssign.gif however i was thinking it would be the next possible suspect anywayso i will need to knowhow tocorrectly test it. I i didfind the neutral safety switch tested anditwas bad so I'm going ahead andreplacing it. Also Ive already replaced the fuel pump/ASD relayand stillhaven't figured out why I'm not getting any spark.
If i hadn'tspent so much money replacing thingslike the PCMi wouldjust buy a new van but i wouldprobably just have some other problem with it.

alloro 09-18-2007 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: cowboy kid

I didfind the neutral safety switch tested anditwas bad so I'm going ahead andreplacing it.
Good, if the new switch solves the no crank problem we can then get down to the no start problem.

alloro 09-18-2007 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: cowboy kid

i was testing the crank position sensorhowever i was thinking it would be the next possible suspect anywayso i will need to knowhow tocorrectly test it.
The CPS isalmost always the problem when you're getting no spark. Are you telling me that it hasn't been replaced yet?
You need a DRB-II scan tool to correctly test the CPS. For the 40 bucks I'd just buy a new CPS to be safe.

cowboy kid 09-18-2007 01:24 PM

i think your right about the CPS and yes replacing the switch solved the no crank problem.:D

alloro 09-18-2007 01:54 PM

I should've thought of the neutral safety switch sooner. But who would've thought that it would go bad like that right in the middle of diagnosing the no start problem. Now if the CPS fixes the no start problem...wohoooo! :)

cowboy kid 09-18-2007 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: alloro

Now if the CPS fixes the no start problem...wohoooo! :)
I think everything I replaced so farwas on it's way out and justtook turns dieing.
Hopefully i will have a van that will run for a long time when this is over.