Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

98 Ram Van 1500 V6 idling / cut off problem (computer chip)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:43 PM
blondieblue227
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram Van 1500 V6 idling / cut off problem (computer chip)

Hi, I’m new here…

I have a 98 dodge ram stub van. I been this reoccurring problem that none of the mechanics can figure out. It’s extremely aggravating.

When the van’s in idle or when is first started and I press on the gas, the van cuts off. Once it cut of when I was going down hill! It seems to happen in cold weather. I took it to the dealership three years ago and it took a while to figure out what the problem was, because of course it didn’t cut off on them. They replaced some kind of idling computer chip.

Do you think the chip has gone bad again? Any other ideas of what it could be?

van specs:

98 ram van 1500
engine: “magnum” 3.9L SMPI V6
Transmission: 3 speed automatic
Brakes: Pwr disc/drum, Rr Anti-lock
Battery: 600 Amp maintenance free
Alternator: 117 Amp
Steering: quick-ratio variable assist power
Heavy Duty Suspension Group

Old 02-23-2005, 06:35 PM
blondieblue227
Default RE: 98 Ram Van 1500 V6 idling / cut off problem (computer chip)

could it be the coil pack?

Old 02-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Dr.Dodge
Professional

In regards to your idle problem, I don't think I would suspect the coil pack immediately, based upon the symptoms you have. In my experience, this is caused by a bad throttle position sensor. Basically, in a nutshell, what is happening is that you are opening the throttle, allowing more air into your engine. The engine is unable to read that the throttle has moved (due to the bad sensor) and does not inject the extra fuel required to keep the air/fuel mixture correct. Result: severe lean out and stall or really bad shaking due to lean misfire.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Old 02-28-2005, 06:15 PM
blondieblue227

thank you for your thoughts mr. dodge.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
thlamers
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 99 Ram Van 5.2 and it is doing a similar thing. It is temperature sensitive too. In colder weather the probelem is severe. As it gets warmer it is almost gone. Is much worse in reverse backing out of the driveway. Starts right up after the stall.

I am suspecting the crankshaft position sensor as the signals to the computer do not show a pulse for each cylinder. If a timing light is put on the coil output it shows random misfires. Likewise the injectors show random misfire.

Tom

Old 03-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Dr.Dodge
Professional

Not saying the to eliminate the crank sensor, but I have seen very few crank sensor failures (unless they were physically hit with debris ). Most sensors are sensitive to thermal changes. Throttle position sensors are moving objects and do wear out. Put your meter on the signal wire and check for an out of range sensor. Then check the sensor as you open the throttle to WOT. Any skips in the resistance as you move it and the sensor is trash.

I'd check it just to be sure. Especially since it is so easy to test

Jeff

Old 10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
blondieblue227

Ok, it’s happening again! I’m kicking myself because I didn’t post back here on what the dealership did to repair the problem the last time. I think they replaced some kind of chip. A chip that read that the van had been jumped 500 times. Or some ridiculous amount. So not true, it had only been jumped twice if that. This is the second time now the same problem has happened. Both repairs were around $800.

Only difference this time is I notice after the cut off occurs and I place it in park it rolls by itself a few inches. Like the brakes aren’t working? Also, all my needles moved when it cut off, showing I had no gas, oil etc.

This time if I choose to repair again, I’ll take your sugguestions in with me. OR because this problem seems never to be resolved, I may just buy a new van.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM
blondieblue227

I’m sure nobody is interested, but I’m posting these anyway. I found a couple receipts from the dealership. Repairs were free. Must’ve been under warranty. I don’t know why $800 was stuck in my head. I’m not in a hurry to get it to the shop this time. Just not looking forward to it. But I’ll post back on what they do afterward.

May 2000
Van has long crank time intermittently hot or cold. Ordered fuel pump. Cleaned throttle body. Ordered module kit. Total: $63

Dec 2000
Engine stalls. Customer states van cuts off when turning into driveway and dies out when started. Please check and advise. Diagnosed with DRB III FOUND AIS will not respond. Replaced AIS motor and road test OK. Total: $0

Again in May 2000
Fuel pressure leaks down. Removed fuel tank and replaced pump. Total: $0

Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

it sounds like your IAC is bad/dirty or both. yank it off the back of the TB and clean it, better yet, yank the TB and clean it real good. also look down into the intake manifold and look for any oil pooling on the bottom of the intake. a wet film is normal, pooling is not. if you find any then your plenum is leaking. the IAC cleaning should fix your problem though...

Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 PM
blondieblue227

showed dealership your replies. don't know how much they took them into account, but thanks again.

they replaced the crank sensor.

whatever

i just hope the damn thing lasts more than two years.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram Van 1500 V6 idling / cut off problem (computer chip)