Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Tips to improve gas mileage?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 AM
a_dangerlg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips to improve gas mileage?

I've got an '87 B250 w/ the 5.2L V8 that I use as my band van.

We're going to be doing a little west coast tour at the beginning of April and we're going to need to pinch every penny we can. The van is currently getting about 14-16 MPG and I'd like to improve on that because fuel is going be our largest expense by far.

About 2 months ago I replaced the plugs and wires. I put in some of those nice 4 prong, pre-gapped plugs. I'm sure I didn't get the nicest wires in the world but I didn't get the cheapest either.

Before we head out I'm going to change the oil, inflate the tires, etc.

Anything else I should do? Will changing the fuel filter help? I'm pretty sure this is past due anyway.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:16 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tips to improve gas mileage?

Install one of those "Tornado" thingys in the air cleaner housing. I put one in my 93 3.9L a few years ago and my fuel economy improved about 20miles per tankful. They sell for$60 at the major auto retailers but you canbuyit on eBay for about$35. Every little bit helps.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
francois74

when on the highway, just use cruise control,if you have it.if not,keep it steady about 55-60mph. I do it in my 1500 5.9 pick up and i get an addition 3-4 mpg

Old 01-30-2008, 01:53 PM
IGadget
Professional

the most feul efficient speed is 45 if you can do that. the other trick is to learn to time lights. when you see a red light well ahead take your foot off the gas and only lightly if at all brake. You dont need to be the first at the next red light either, so accelerate slowly. Just remember the mantra that "brakes waste gas". I'm not saying never brake, just learn that in a van all you really have to do to start slowing down in take your foot off the gas. If you are looking at the lights and traffic 1/4 mile up you can avoid occasions when you need to step on the middle/left pedal. Not only that but you wont have to change your brakes as often either. People today feel that they need to always be pressing on one or the other pedal, and it just isnt the case.

This thing isnt a safe way to save gas, but can be used if desparate and I'd only say do it on a highway. On really steep downhill grades you can get your speed up, put it into neutral and take your foot off the gas, just let her roll. As the hill lessens, you will need to bring the engine up a bit when you go back into drive. Otherwise engine brakeing will occur and defeat the purpose by slowing you down too much.

I'd also run carb cleaner though the tank every now and again to clean out the works unless you have TBI instead of carb.

The only other thing I've seen make a difference is going to dual exausts. Either H or separate pipes. though you may need another cat for the other side. Unless you have a friendly mechanic who wont care at inspection time if your state requires those.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:36 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

On really steep downhill grades you can get your speed up, put it into neutral and take your foot off the gas, just let her roll.
I wouldn't recommend doing this. Not only does it run the risk of you losing control of the vehicle, it is illegal to do in most if not all states.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Suprageezer

The tornado thing which yes was on my van when I got is a Tinfoil Hat joke, look at the shape of you intake holes they aint round. They have been dyno tested a zillion time to show ZERO difference. I'd go taller tires and use ONLY Chevron Supreme. I notice a difference when using lower grades on long trips. Also the cheaper the gas the faster the carbon deposits build up, rasing your compression ratio which is a bad thing. I learned this using Arco gas only in my last van, then one day I saw a show on the history of Gas on the History channel and leared there are no BRANDS any more just the additives, it has to do with the way gas is shipped to the fuel farms. once there that's where thr magic takes place and the additives are added to make them different from brand x. Techron is shown to prevent carbon buildup as well and remove it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Dansendlessprojects

I inflate my tires with helium and got a skinnier girlfriend! Getting a extra 100 miles to a tank!

Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There's a bumper sticker in there somewhere.
Dump the Skank...Keep the Tank
[sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Dansendlessprojects

Yea, and I allways try to drive on icy roads with over inflated really bald tires, Seems to help reduce friction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips to improve gas mileage?