Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

'98 3500 Ram Van Engine shuts down when..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
TimN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 3500 Ram Van Engine shuts down when..

This problem was intermittent over the summer, until recently the problem has become worse.

As I decelerate, like when approaching a stop light or a turn.. The engine shuts off... It doesn't sputter or hesitate like there is fuel loss, it just abrubtly shuts off. It will also start right back up with no hesitation.

Today, it started happening at just about every stop sign / light and turn I had to make.

It starts right back up. A few weeks ago, the mechanic checked the fuel pump and said it seem to have good pressure.

Any of you guys run across this before ? I have a friend I hadn't seen in a long, who has a Ram van 1500 who was having just about the same problem.. so I thought I would post this.

On another note - Lost my speedometer, replaced the unit on the transmission (which we thought was the problem0) but it looks like its up in the cluster. The speedometer was picking up only at around 35mph... then 45... doesn't really bounce around or anything.

As far as replacing the cluster, I was told it has to be taken to the dealer, because the cluster needs to be programmed ?? its analog, other than the mileage read out... (I had another vehicle with a digital instrument set, that I once replaced, the mileage was kept somewhere else on a chip)

Thanks for any tips, glad I found this site!

Tim

Last edited by TimN; 08-28-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '89 b250 did the same thing a few years ago but was running a little rough even when not decellerating. The problem was fixed with a New EGR Valve. Later I found out I probably could have just cleaned out the old one and been fine.

I suspect yours might be that the IAC motor and vaccuum port needs a good cleaning.

Mine has a different version so I'm not familiar with the process, but do a search, or Maybee Stev or Alloro will jump in and set you straight.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

There's no EGR valve on a 98, but the IAC is a good place to start.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a page from this forum about how to clean the IAC. I did it on my van, it does not take too long and is very easy to do.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/68174-diy-how-to-clean-the-iac.html

On your speedometer issue, I have learned this week that on the 98 vans there is a TCM (Transmission Control Module) now it gets its information about the vehicle speed from the sensor on the tranny. The gage cluster gets its information from the sensor at the rear axle.

Question I have is, has your ABS light been on and/or has the cruise control not worked when the speedometer is acting up? If so I would check the sensor at the rear axle. If those one or two are working then I would look at the gage cluster.

The reason the cluster would need to be reprogrammed is only for the odometer, that being digital readout, the close to correct mileage needs to be set into the replacement unit. The odometer and speedometer both get their information from the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) in the rear axle.

Last edited by Mobile Auto Repair; 08-30-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:18 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a coil problem.

If the IAC cleaning helps only a little, check the ignition coil. I had one that was flaky and kept the van stalling out.

Quick Reply: '98 3500 Ram Van Engine shuts down when..