Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

2004 Ram Van improvements?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
desertpenguin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram Van improvements?

Hi, I recently bought a 2004 Ram van 1500 conversion with 40,000 miles. It's reliable, but from 40-65mph accelerates poorly. Is this normal? I thought a v8 would be faster. Granted, it's decent for a big van, but how can acceleration be improved?

Another thing is suspension.. Lots of sway and bounce. It's my first time owning a van, before this i had a honda ridgeline and the suspension was great (compared to the van). I've searched all over for anti-sway bars, better shocks, springs etc but have found nothing. Any ideas as to how I can make it a lot better handling (at least so it's more comfortable for the kids and doesn't bounce 3 feet every time I hit a bump)?

I was also looking into maybe somehow getting bigger/better tires, because the stock tires are tiny. Are there suspension packages that will provide all of this in one?

Thanks in advance!

also... lol just kidding

Old 05-19-2009, 08:53 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Try turning off the OD and see if the acceleration improves. It might just the way that van is unless you give it a good kick to drop it out of OD.

There shouldn't be that much bounce. It might be time for a new set of shocks.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On those tiny tires they may be only rated for car and not truck/vans. If so they may be too soft and trying to flex to much as you make the turns giving you the feeling that the rest of the suspension excluding shocks needs beefed up.

I run 235/75R15 Goodyear Wrangler's on mine. A good tire, holds up well and is quiet on the highway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Ram Van improvements?