DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Ram Van (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van-100/)
-   -   3500 van ride height (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-van/208098-3500-van-ride-height.html)

mrpulldown 07-20-2009 07:53 PM

3500 van ride height

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I just joined this forum so that i could get some Van info. A little background. I have been a shade tree mechanic my whole life. I think that I was taught to change my dad's cars oil at age six, and have been wrenching ever since.

My first experiance with Ram Vans was in 84 when my dad bought a Landmark converted van. I loved that thing. If that van could talk...

Fast forward 20 years or so. My buddy bought a Roadtrek converted 1994 3500 Ram Van. He was complaining about his suspension bottoming out, so I told him that I would take a look. I intially thought that he either had some bad ball joints or bushings, or that his shocks were blown. Well the shocks are new and his mechanic went through the suspension recntly and said everything was in good shape. Greased up all of the ball joint and steering linkages. I confirmed this with some simple inspections when I was jsut out there. One thing that I noticed was that the suspension appears to have sagged. I took some measurments and pictures which i can post upon request.

The travel between the bump stops is my main concern. There is about 1/2 an inch between the lower bump stop and the stop pad, whereas the upper bumper stop has a couple of inches. The ratio of bump travel compare to the droop travel is about 25/75, is this right. Most trucks seem to make this at least 50/50. Before I tell him that he needs to go get himself some new springs, i want to know what ya'll think.

MY question is what is the stock ride hight of a 94 one ton Ram Van. Measured from the center of the wheel to the edge of the fender.

Thanks guys.

mrpulldown 07-28-2009 01:53 PM

Bumpped thread. Does this forum bump threads?

So does nayone have any insight on this?? From what I have read the 350 and the 250s share the same suspension. If you don't know the exact ride height, can you post a picture of your suspension so that I can see where it sits realitive to the two bump stops.

I see some Heavy duty springs for sale for the trucks. Are the suspension of the trucks the same as the vans?

Any help or discussion on this topic would be much appreciated.

landyacht318 07-28-2009 02:10 PM

I thought a lot of Roadtreks came with rear airbags to accomidate all that extra weight.
You might have better luck over at rv.net in the CVC forum. Lots of road trekkers over there.

mrpulldown 10-28-2009 12:05 PM

SO I am moving forward.

Jsut to give you guys an update. My friend is driving out this weekend and I offered to help him install the springs. I am getting the stock replacment rather then a lift or a hevay duty spring. I am afraid it will jack up his alignment and I don't thing he will like a rough ride.

Anyone know how to pull the old springs out. I am well versed in the way of suspension, jsut have never done a dodge van before. Do i need to compress the springs?

mrpulldown 10-29-2009 08:30 PM

So what gives. Are you guys not responding cause I am a newbie and not part of your club yet. Or do you not know and don't give a hoot about someone else problem, and not even willing to go take a picture of your own van. I have been polite, wrote my post with more or less proper grammer and spelling, and nothing! Man, my only response was from Landyacht telling me to go somewhere else. What a great forum!!

landyacht318 10-30-2009 01:58 AM

I think the lack of replies is due to the Road Trek conversion. We don't know if they upgraded the original springs, or what the ride height should be for such a converted vehicle.

It looks slightly lower than mine, and I know my springs are old enough to drink legally, and are too soft and should be replaced.

I wasn't trying to be rude in telling you to post over at RV net. I just know there are a lot of Dodge based Roadtrek people over there who would know the answers you seek. There is a thread over there now called " Post your 'B' sightings here". 72 pages of photos. There are dozens of photos of Dodge 1971 to 2003 roadtreks on it.

Here's a direct link:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/20477639.cfm

I've never replaced springs and can offer no advice besides using a good pair of compressors, but for all I know You can use the weight of the vehicle and a quality floor jack to accomplish the task.

Good luck.

alloro 10-30-2009 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by mrpulldown (Post 1857296)
Are you guys not responding cause I am a newbie and not part of your club yet.

You're way out of line with that remark. First off, no one here is required to respond to or answer any questions posed. This is a forum not a paid service.

Second, we don't pretend to be someone we're not by responding just for the sake of responding. We're fully aware of the hazards and risks to giving bad advice. Therefore, if we don't know an answer, we shut up.

Third, landyacht318 gave you good advice in suggesting you go to the rv.net site because they have more experience in this area and can better help you. This of course seemed like a satisfactory conclusion to this thread, requiring no further responses.

mrpulldown 10-30-2009 11:48 AM

THanks for putting me in my place. Yes I was a bit out of line with my remarks yesterday. I was a bit fustrated at the end of my work day and the lack of info I found on subject on line. Further fustrated that none of the DIY links on this site work. My father in law (previously mentioned buddy) is coming this weekend and I want to help him with his van. I have new stock springs ordered and want the job to go as smoothly as possible. Was hoping that I could read a write up or two, but alas, none are to be found.

Landyacht-Thanks for your clarification. I am a memeber of many forums and the amount of poo that sometimes gets slung around is amazing. Just wanted to see if you are a straight shooter or handing me out a backhand. Sorry I had to use such a rude method for determining. I appreciate youir link and advice.

As a token I offer that I will document and write up a how to after I finish the spring change, and post it in my blog and link it here.

Good day all.

mrpulldown 11-02-2009 01:15 PM

Finsihed the spring install this weekend, and gained about 2 inches of height. Test drove was nice. No more bottoming out.

Pretty painless job. I was not able to pop the ball joint apart from the knuckle, instead I took the trunion pin pivot of the upper A arm off. Losened the brake line brackets, dropped the shock, disconnected the sway bar/bump stop/compression rod bracket and parts/links. Bring the lower control arm down. careful not to over extend the brake lines and ABS sensor wire. Wiggle out old spring, wiggle in new spring. Make sure rubber spring topper is in place. Slap it back together. Thing to watch out for is that the UCA pivot pin. This pin fits in a slot and is the bases for the aligment, so mark it's location and put it back in the same plaece. The "nut" on the bottom of the bolt is the bear to get in place. Need to reach behind and set in place with your finger.

I will post a link to pictures and more detailed write up when it happens.

Cheers folks!

mrpulldown 11-16-2009 07:02 PM

I know you have all been at the edge of your seats waiting for me to post my write up on the coil spring swap. Well here it is. Enjoy!

http://mrpulldown.blogspot.com/2009/...dodge-van.html