Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

water pump or heater core on 1987 b250

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM
buffharsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump or heater core on 1987 b250

1987 Ram B250 with 150K and 318 v8. I am noticing a RUSTY drip coming off of the bottom of the flywheel when running the engine and after a long a drive. My heater has not worked for 3 years- thats a clue.... but how can I tell if I need to replace the water pump or just the heater core? I can not see where the drip is originating from. Any hints or ideas? Also - anyone ever done this job or know what it might cost to get the water pump and timing chain replaced? Thanks for any info or help......

Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by buffharsh
I am noticing a RUSTY drip coming off of the bottom of the flywheel
Do you mean the damper pulley in the front of the engine or the flywheel at the back of the engine?

If it's the front, change the water pump and flush out the cooling system. If it's the rear of the engine then the problem is the freeze plugs on the back of the engine are leaking. To change those, either the engine or the tranny has to be removed.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:43 PM
cudajim
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's probably the water pump leaking at the seal and if so just replace it. It also could be the timing chain cover worn through. I recently had 2 bad ones on 2 different vehicles. One was my 94 Dodge 318 van where there was a pinhole behind the water pump on the timing cover and the other was my 69 Barracuda 318 which was leaking on the upper side of the timing cover due to it being worn through. In both cases I had to replace the timing covers because they could not be fixed. Since I had the cover off I also replaced the timing chains too. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 AM
buffharsh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys- it was the pump. Had the pump chain and gear replaced. Local shop quoted me 400 labor and about 150 in parts to include backflushing and refilling the cooling system. Seemed fair to me althought when I called yesterday they said there was by-pass hose that was about to break anbd they sopent 1.5 hours to replace that.... sounds like a lot of time for a hose but maybe it is tough to get at.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by buffharsh
sounds like a lot of time for a hose but maybe it is tough to get at.
It is a difficult hose to access and replace.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Mobile Auto Repair
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That time quoted is about right. For you have to unmount the alternator, AC compressor and remove the bracket that holds both of them. Now you can get to that pesky 2 to 3 dollar hose and then get the fun of putting the bracket, alternator and AC compressor back on. While they have it down that far, if it still is, then I would have them replace the thermostat, upper radiator hose and the heater hose to the left (looking from the grill at the engine) of the thermostat. Other wise you have to pull all the above mention stuff just to get to those parts as well.

Quick Reply: water pump or heater core on 1987 b250