Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

1989 b-150 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
rdcinduluth@aol.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 b-150 will not start

Please help if you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I have been very sick with pneumonia and the bills are mounting up. I drove the van to the drug store, it ran great, came back out and it would not start, spins over but does not start, getting fuel but no spark, replaced the coil and hall-effect sensor in the distributor, with no change. I can not afford to send it out to a repair shop, I have a good general knowledge of older vehicles but I do not have meters or testing equipment, the van had done this a few times in the past, but would start after a few minutes or so, it also just cut off while driving and would start back up right away a few times. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help, Ron

Old 03-02-2011, 11:31 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the computer codes.

Turn the key from off to on( not start, off on,off then leave on and watch the check engine light.

It will go out then start flashing. 3 flashes pause 5 flashes means code 35.

Expect to see code 12 and code 55( end of codes)

Post the others that you see.

Eliminate the grounds as possibilities by removing filing and retightening them.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by rdcinduluth@aol.com
replaced the coil and hall-effect sensor in the distributor, with no change.

I can not afford to send it out to a repair shop

I do not have meters or testing equipment
You can buy the test equipment for what you're wasting on replacing wrong parts and own it for next time. Without so much as a $10 voltmeter, how do you expect us to walk you through any form of diagnostics?

If you want to try and solve this by throwing parts at it, you should've started with a new ASD relay since it supplies power to the computer, ignition, and injectors.

Quick Reply: 1989 b-150 will not start