Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Hey Rusty93RamVan, Ahab got his White Whale

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Hey Rusty93RamVan, Ahab got his White Whale

So after battling the P0300, P0301, P0303, & P0305 along with a constantly illuminated CEL light for the past 5+ years the problem is solved. My CEL is now off!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
ComicDom1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool Alloro what was the issue and how did you resolve it?

Jason

Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

When I bought the van I went through it before putting it on the road. Included in my 'going through it' was the installation of a new set of spark plug wires, which were Duralast from Autozone. Since they were new I never gave them a second thought. Recently I was reading a post with someone saying how they've had bad luck with Duralast wire sets right out of the box, so this got me thinking.

I did some research and decided to go top shelf and get the ACCEL 9039C Ceramic Spark Plug Wire Set which fits 92-01 3.9L V6 Dodge engines. They're a bit pricey from most places ($150.00 give or take) but I found a new set on eBay for $68.88 with the shipping. I installed them yesterday and decided not to clear the codes just to see what happens. Well when I went to make the 3rd trip today (3rd since changing the wire set) that ever omniscient CEL was off, all on it's own.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahoy there, Captain.

No sh*t? Well, I know a ghost is still lurking within my engine management system somewhere but I will certainly replace my wire set since I too have the Duralast wires.

Congratulations!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM
ComicDom1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might be a good idea for anyone with Duralast wires to change them.

Jason

Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 AM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
I will certainly replace my wire set since I too have the Duralast wires.
I hope changing the wire set solves your misfiring too. I'd be real interested to know if this has been everyone's problem, that have been getting the random misfire codes.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:19 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And change out the Duralast cap-n-rotor set for a Wells or other main brand name while you are at it. I'm not impressed with Duralast.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by alloro
I'd be real interested to know if this has been everyone's problem, that have been getting the random misfire codes.
I will certainly report back here with my results. The timing on your discovery is quite good since I'm due for PA safety and emissions inspection by month's end.

I was planning to reset my CEL and then drive for 20 miles under 40 MPH in an attempt to get through inspection.

Maybe now I won't have to.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
alloro
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Rusty93RamVan
I was planning to reset my CEL and then drive for 20 miles under 40 MPH in an attempt to get through inspection.
That's funny, because that's exactly what I've been doing every year to get through the state inspection.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Rusty93RamVan
Captain

Originally Posted by alloro
That's funny, because that's exactly what I've been doing every year to get through the state inspection.
I'm wondering if you can give me a clarification on two finer points concerning our ignition wires. Most parts suppliers list two different wire sets, one with longer boots on the spark plug end and one with shorter boots.

First clarification - What determines which replacement set to buy for a particular 3.9L engine? Logical thought is that Dodge made different exhaust manifold shields for some reason and you should just "match" the set that came off when purchasing a replacement set of wires.

Second clarification - Which Duralast set did you have on your 3.9L, and were they in fact correct for your application?

BTW, today I reset the CEL and then drove my 20+ miles before emissions inspection. Worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: Hey Rusty93RamVan, Ahab got his White Whale