Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Need a New PCM/ECM/ECU

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:45 PM
WE-B-VANNIN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update, I was finally able to exchange my PCM and get another however I got the P0601 code immediately, I exchanged it again, and really ticked off the owner of the shop, they do not buy PCM's, they do their own work there and flash them while you wait. He was not going to warranty the unit because he said my vehicle was causing the problem. I told him everything that I had been through and all the mechanics and forums and anyone else with an opinion say its the computer. I told him if he could tell me somewhere or something specific to check I would do so, he had no suggestions. He warrantied the unit, but told me he would not honor another exchange. The unit he gave me looks physically different, I assume it is an upgraded unit, he told me it is the same just looks different. I have not installed it yet, I am worried about it frying and then I am just stuck where I started and will be out another $500.00 to start over. The Van has been driving without issue but I need to get past this. One question I was asked when they were reflashing was "does you vehicle have a factory installed securtiy system" and I said no because I was told it didnt when I bought it from the previous owner. Today I pulled the dog house to do some inspecting and saw a Remote Entry Receiver (P/N P5604519AB), I never got a remote and I had my own alarm installed, would this receiver mean that the van possibly has a security system installed and I just dont know? could this cause a P0601 code? Is there a test device that could hook up to my PCM plugs and test the wiring on my van for shorts or opens or is there a way to see what command my PCM is failing to do after 6 tries?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

If you're being handed a used PCM then there's always a chance there's a problem with it. If they're reflashing the PCM and then selling them, then they could be flashing them incorrectly. If there's a warranty then he's legally obligated to replace the PCM for you. I would call him and discuss the alarm issue before you connect the PCM. There could be a different set of flashing parameters required.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
WE-B-VANNIN
Default Follow up

Just wanted to update this post because I find myself looking through so many posts only to find that they end in a dead end. I assume that is because the person found the fix.

I put off installing the new PCM in fear that something else was causing the PCM to short out and the place that I purchased the PCM was going to refuse any additional warranties. I checked the wiring to the best of my abilities and found nothing wrong or shorted. Recently the van started dying after start and some days it would not start at all. I finally noticed a "NoBus" message in the odometer. This message opened up a whole new world of information in the forum and combined with the PCM issue I started checking the 5 volt circuit that goes to the many sensors (IAC, MAF, Crank and Cam sensor, etc.) all the circuts seem to be getting the correct voltage, so I starte checking the actual sensors themselves. I found a post about a dirty Crank sensor, I pulled it and it had many metal shavings on it (it is magnetic), I cleaned it. Installed the new PCM and everything worked fine, so that may have been the issue all along. Since then just to make sure I had done all I could I pulled the IAC, and it seemed to be stuck even after cleaning, so I have now replaced it also. In the mean time I replaced the aluminum contact rotor and cap with a brass/copper unit, I also pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it. I drove the van for about a week to work and back putting a few hundred miles on it and never saw a CEL, so that is a relief. I hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM
sparkzz
Veteran

Very interesting. Thanks for the update.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:19 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the update! It will help others down the road to these PCM issues.

Sorry you had to deal with the issue the way you did though. sometimes the littlest things can become the biggest troubles.