Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/C Compressor

Hey all,

So Last year -13 months- ago I got my whole AC system replaced. Well on a 1200 mile journey the clutch in the new but remanufactured compressor went out. I removed it and its essentially just a glorified pulley. I am going to have the compressor replaced. Should I go new or remanufactured? seems reman jammed me pretty good last time and all the warranties are only valid if you do the evaporator as well...since all that is just a year old...do i need to that as well. I thought i did everything right last year, now im nearly back to square one...just looking for some advice as always.

My friend works at a shop they said I can buy all my own parts and help with the labor. A/C systems are by far my weakest knowledge point and im still to sketched to tackle a job like that solo.

87 318 v8 carb, front only a/c

Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Just replace the clutch, not the whole compressor.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:15 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question continued headaches

Originally Posted by alloro
Just replace the clutch, not the whole compressor.
Does the clutch going bad indicate more problems? and is replacing it simply a band aid. I am all for just replacing the clutch. the part is 100 bucks plus a quick leak check and some r-134 and I'm back in business just in time for the dog days. sounds epic and not wallet or time busting. and of course you know everything else is about brand new on the system so I am way with you on the advice just want to educate myself here.

also, i noticed a slight water leakage into the van on the passengers side when the ac was on through the vents there at floor level. guessing blockage in the drain somewhere? but not sure where to find that. didnt think much of it at the time but now since the system is failing me thought maybe it could be related. thanks for helpin with this two part issue.

v/r
dave

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor