Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

no buss/pcm problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Mr.Kleen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face no buss/pcm problems

Greetings to all at Dodge Forums,and thank you for any info you may provide.I have been reading,and learning from this site since I purchased my 2003 2500 RamVan 2 months ago(my first mopar)!It had 119,000mi.,and after changing all fluids and filters,adjusting trans. bands,plugs,wires,dist. cap&rotor(yes,the brass contacts) this was a smoooth machine! Yesterday ran errands,get in van and turns over but no fire and no buss on odo.I have haynes manual,read a lot of info from this forum so....Checked all fuses,grounds,no broken or chafed wires(stopped short of opening all wire looms)cleaned every sensor connection possible.Did the inst. cluster self-check all gauges&lights work(did this several times)Engine will run for random durations then shut down w/no buss signal.Also have obdII pocket scanner no codes or no link.Last time did inst.cluster check 920,921,999 show on odo. more research pcm not sending signal to gaugesne more cluster check,all gauges worked.Ihave 5v to tps and the other major sensors that share the 5v link to pcm.It's hot here in Miami,and I'm getting tired!Is it time for new PCM?Sorry,solong,trying to cover it all!5.2l 318/46re Thanks again for your assistance

Old 06-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Mr.Kleen

Mr.Kleen here again;does anybody have a reputable pcm company to recommend?there are tons of horror stories out there.Thanks a lot.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look hard enough and you can find horror stories about each and every brand available of everything.

The thing about engine computers is they usually do not fail on their own, something causes them to fail, so if that something is not found, and the new ecm fails in a short period of time, the new ecm is incorrectly blamed.

I have a reman'd Cardone.

After a year it started giving a internal computer fault detected code, but I've driven 20k miles since that code showed up.

Several years before this I incorrectly blamed the ecm and it's internal regulator for a non operable charging system. An AP store got me a new expensive computer, I installed it, and then my engine would not start. I forget which company did the reman.

A fusible link was my no charging culprit.

But when my original engine computer did fail, I eventually found a wire to a transmission solenoid had chafed and was grounding out on the transmission bell housing.

Alloro loves hearing about this.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:53 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Kleen
Is it time for new PCM?
Yes it could be the PCM, but it could also just be the ASD relay. Have you tested to make sure power is getting through this relay?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 PM
alloro
Van & CUV Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by landyacht318
But when my original engine computer did fail, I eventually found a wire to a transmission solenoid had chafed and was grounding out on the transmission bell housing.

Alloro loves hearing about this.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Mr.Kleen

Thank you Alloro,and Landyacht318 for your quick replies.I have voltage to ASD relay the continuity&resistance of the ASD matches the other three identical relays in the fuse block.Test for voltage in left PCM connector;have 12v in 6 pin holes(2 per row:1,3,19,20,22,23)Called local dealer;for $80 they will diagnose,if applicable will reflash PCM for$30 more;so I'm going to be there @ 7A.M.Just want to say I appreciate all the help&info that Alloro,Landyacht,Stev,andanyone else at this forum provide!It is a true service to the community!Alloro I noticed that you are an electician;so is my brother,it's amazing the patience you guys have in chasing electrical gremlins(it's like a hunter stalking its prey!)Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Mr.Kleen

Well the Ram is alive again!!!Turned out to be the PCM.Last night the van would not start at all;gonna have to tow to dealer,Call dealer to see if PCM available;they said there is a national backorder on Pcm for my van;1-30 days to get$340.Did more searching,and found SoloAutoElectronics right here in Miami.Had it for $362+tax+$50 for lifetime warranty-total$430.Installed it and van fired right up!F.Y.I have talked to many companies/people regarding this PCM;Solo was the 1st Co. that sounded like they knew what they were talking about(didn't sound or feel shady)Not only did they they have my PCM,they were familiar with my "dodge disease";seems they repair a lot of Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep PCM's.Cant endorse these guys yet,but saved time&money on shipping.Normal warranty is 1 year,$50 lifetime exchange as long as you(the purchaser)own the vehicle,and is not transferable.I hope this may help someone else.Thanks again to Alloro&LY318 for their timely responses.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Mr.Kleen

I just want to mention that Solo accesses the circuitboard by cutting a circular hole in the back of the case,then repairs what is needed,then replacing the disk with some type of silicone adhesive.At first this was troubling,but it shows that something was actually done to the PCM.Have read many stories of repainted or cleaned used PCM's being sold as reman's. Just had to put this out there so nobody will be surprised if they use these guys.They said that D/C/J Pcm's are notorious for circuits vibrating loose,a "design"flaw.Again not promoting this company just sharing the facts of my experience.

Quick Reply: no buss/pcm problems