Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Steering Buzz/Squeal

Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Buzz/Squeal

Hey all,

So my van has recently started making a crazy sound...It sounds like electric hair clippers when It starts and never goes away, and if i turn, even a little, it intensifies and is terrible. I checked the power steering fluid, its levels are fine. So has anyone encountered this or have any suggestions on correcting It. I cant seem to run it to ground. the sound seems like its coming from the the lower left on the belt system. Thanks.

Cheers
Dave T

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good chance that the power steering pump's bearing is shot.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM
ComicDom1
Professional

If you have an 8 cylinder and you are sitting in the drivers seat in the Van, I believe your power steering pump in that year would be on the lower left hand side. Keep in mind I am looking at a picture from an 1986 engine.

The first thing I would do is check all your belts for cracks, hardness, and proper tension. If the belts look good and feel supple, then I would get a helper, start the van, and have your helper turn the wheel side to side while you look and try to hone in on the sound. This will only be helpful it it makes the noise while the van is in park. If you still think its the power steering pump, since it appears to be the belt in front, I would loosen and remove the belt, start the engine and see if the noise disappears. If it does you know the power steering pump is the culprit.

Are you sitting in the drivers seat when you say lower left or outside facing the van?

Jason

Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 PM
landyacht318
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a turkey baster

drive the van in a few figure 8's

Shut off the van, and quickly remove the PS cap, suck out a bulbs worth of PSF and put it in a clear container.

Check color and contents for debris. Lotsa debris, new pump time.

Only Remans available. Quality is most likely junk.

Good luck

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
d2fel
Amateur
Location: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000188795062
Cool

Are you sitting in the drivers seat when you say lower left or outside facing the van?

Yes that is correct, and if I am looking at the van with the hood open its on the lower right and if im sitting in the van its on the left.

Ive honed in on the sound, I will do the turkey baster experiment tomorrow.

As stated you say the remans are junk? should I take the time and refurb my original or am I just spinning m¥ wheels at that point?

Thanks for all the help thus far.

Dave

Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM
ComicDom1
Professional

I would see if I could find one with a lifetime warranty. Maybe you can hang on to yours if there is not a core charge. I have no idea what the cost would be to rebuild yours but if you do I do not see how it would be better than a reman which is an original which has been rebuilt.

The other option for you is to attempt to find an original in a Junk/Salvage yard, but it might put you right back where you are.

Personally I would opt for one from the auto parts store with the best warranty and let yours go.

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Buzz/Squeal